cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VAT receipt for Personal Accounts

Nicolvmax
Investigator
Investigator

Why do EE not show the VAT breakdown on their personal accounts? I charge some of my bills to my business and need a VAT receipt to do that. Why is EE exempt from showing their VAT  details on their bills.... I wish I could do the same?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Nicolvmax : Cuz it is a personal account intended for consumers, for which no VAT receipt is required. If you want VAT receipts for your business you need to switch to a business a/c.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Nicolvmax : Cuz it is a personal account intended for consumers, for which no VAT receipt is required. If you want VAT receipts for your business you need to switch to a business a/c.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks for your reply, however, I still believe under UK VAT law that if a Customer requests a VAT receipt they should give it regardless of whether I am a business or not. When I go to the garage, restaurant, hotel,  etc. if they are VAT registered they give me a VAT receipt. 

I am not a business but my company insist on a VAT receipt for expensing calls and data. I don't understand why EE is any different to any other company, if they are asked for a VAT receipt they should give it?

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Nicolvmax

Welcome to the community. 

Our bills for personal users now show all charges inclusive of VAT.

If you need a VAT breakdown for business purposes, you would need to switch to a business account. 

Leanne.

www.gov.ukIs it a legal requirement to provide a VAT receipt?

There's no legal obligation to provide an VAT invoice unless both you and your customer are VAT registered.

TomDu
Investigator
Investigator

>There's no legal obligation to provide an VAT invoice unless both you and your customer are VAT registered.<

I am VAT registered and EE refuse to provide me with VAT invoices. I pointed out that it is a legal obligation, or at least certainly seems to be based on what appears here :

if you’re VAT-registered, you must issue a VAT invoice whenever you supply standard rate or reduced rate goods or services to another VAT-registered person.

I don't think it depends on what sort of account/arrangement you have with a supplier, but EE have decided it does. I have a personal account but use the account partly for business. 

After much discussion, earlier this year, EE finally sent me VAT invoices. However, last week they sent me a text indicating that this option (if it ever had been one officially) would be stopped and I would have to change to a business account (which is what they told me when I first asked).

I rang EE again and mentioned I didn't want or need a business account, or any extra features. I was assured that a business account would cost no more than my existing personal account. I was under the impression, or perhaps assumed, that a business account would be more expensive. I hope this is correct.

As long as you have the Correct EE Vat Number for your EE Billing Account then you can deduct the Vat element and claim it back from your Vat Returns.

Should the Vat Man or your Accountant be unhappy with your process of calculations, send them a Copy of your EE Billing Request or Bill Or Demand of Payment together with the correct EE Vat Registration Number and ask them to pursue the information through EE. The chances are they will not bother and except your Vat Returns Claim. 

@EssexBoyEE : Unfortunately EE mobile bills show no EE VAT Registered Number (I'm told), unlike EE BB bills.

Doesn't matter as long as you have the Correct Vat Registration Number against your Billing Account (and they may differ on different Departments) then you can reclaim the Vat back against your Vat Returns.

Been there, done it, got the T Shirt, it's all about correct accounting procedures for Vat, as long as you can provide the correct Vat Registration against a Payment or Bill / Invoice and its all legit then you are good to go, Vat Man may give you grief but its up to them to them to determine if its an legit or fraudulent Vat Claim. 

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Morning @TomDu

Thanks for coming here. 

Our mobile care team will be able to run through your options for moving to a business account and let you know if there would be any change to the price plan you have at the moment. 

Thanks. 

Leanne.