cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First bill on my new contract is confusing and ridiculously expensive

Bricky20
Contributor
Contributor

I'm absolutely in a state of complete. I just got a Google Pixel 8 Pro and initially I had to pay £40 for the down payment and then a further £100 due to my credit score being low which I understand and I knew that as mentioned I would receive the £100 back after 6 months. However, I checked my bill earlier today and it showed that everything was up to date and payments had been fulfilled until my next bill in January. When checking back again I noticed that I had no ability to text or call so I checked my account and I have now been charged a further £166.70. When I saw this my heart felt like it literally dropped. There's no way I can afford that much on top of what I have already paid. I only received my phone less than 2 days ago and set it up today and it has marked it as extra charges but it doesn't actually say what it is comprised of because it says that they can't show me that information yet. Why on earth would EE not tell me that this would happen?? Should I wait to call them when they're open or just start packing it back up for a return? because this is beyond ridiculous. I haven't even used my phone other than setting it up and somehow it's charging me so much and doesn't even show why.

3 REPLIES 3
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Besides the upfront payment & the £100 security deposit you still need to pay your monthly subs. These are charged, like all networks, monthly in advance. In your 1st bill your are being charged the coming month in advance + for the period from when you started until this 1st billing date in arrears. Your detailed bill should show this break down by date

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I would understand that if it made sense. It is far higher that two months worth of bills and it states that I am being charged £110+ for the device and the 2 months of billing. I was never told that I had to pay more than first few months bills and then another £110 outside what would be the usual cost beyond this. If this is what I was to expect then why didn't the agent state this during my call with them and the contract did not state that there would be a further charge of £110+ separate from the monthly device and airtime plan for the first few months.

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Bricky20 

Welcome to the community.

If you get in touch with our Mobile Care team, they'll be able to check the bill and explain it fully. If there's a problem, they'll be able to put it right.

Chris