cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling contract - charges?

ClaireMagggie
Visitor

Hi, I’m on an Essential SIM-only Unlimited plan and want to cancel due to a change in circumstances making it unaffordable for me. My contract started on 17th January 2023 and appears to have automatically renewed for another year despite having received no communications or prior warning from EE - is this right?

When I look into cancelling on the app I’m being quoted a huge cancellation fee (over £300). Is there any sort of cooling off period or way I can get out of this and cancel my contract with minimal penalties, given I haven’t received any notice regarding this renewal and it’s only been 10 days since it happened?

2 REPLIES 2
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

What was the min. term of your contract? Contracts don't auto renew. These mobile contracts don't just end, just the min. term expires. They are not fixed term contracts. After the min. term they just carry on at the same price on a rolling 30-days' notice basis until you explicitly cancel, upgrade or port your no. away. There will however be a 10% discount after 3 months.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
BrendonH
Community Hero
Community Hero

My guess is this SIM only plan was either a 18 month or 25 month plan so it hasn't auto renewed it just hasn't reached it's minimum term yet that's why there is an early termination fee.

The contracts don't renew it just goes to a 30 day plan after the initial minimum term until you either upgrade or cancel.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below