cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WAN port only working with certain sources.

stupink
Investigator
Investigator

I have both the newer white modem, and the model before. both seem to behave similar. Ideally i want to get the white one working properly.

Firstly my broadband works fine, but when I have had an outage I've tried to use my 5g mobile with an RJ45 adaptor to feed the wan port of the router so i can use all my normal devices without signing them into a new wifi account. The white one doesn't like it one bit, the older one will work for 5minutes then stop but only if you restart the router with it all plugged in.

The odd thing is that when it stops working, i can unplug it from my phone and plug it into my new router as a source, and boom, internet again.

I thought maybe my phone or the RJ45 connector is overheating or something, but no, if i plug that into my mini-pc lan port, i can sit there using the 5g for hours without a problem. 

So in short the router will accept Lan > wan  for ages no problem

It will accept RJ45-5g adaptor, sometimes, but for 5mins only after restarting router.

and Rj45-5g will sit happily feeding another device for hours, but put the two together, and its a no go. 

Any thoughts?  I kinda understand the basics, but i dont know enough to know what may be wrong, i do feel it should work though.

16 REPLIES 16
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@stupink   the Wan ports on EE routers are not designed for that type of use, they are for connecting to a modem and to use the PPOE credentials to get internet access. They can get this via the DSL port or the WAN port, but not bothe at the same time.  Connecting an internet source via a Lan port can make it work as an Access Point.

To do what you are trying to do, you need a router with dual input such as some from Asus or Vigor

Thankyou for taking the time to reply,

I did not mention but I unplugged the phone line whilst doing this so there was no input from my fibre, with that in mind do you feel it should be working or not?

What I'm trying to do is use my fibre all day long, then if i have a outage, and/or a large download where the 5g speeds would be beneficial, unplug my phone line, plug in my phone/rj45 to the wan port, and continue using the same wifi for all my devices but now powered off my phones internet.

Is that what you mean by access point? and it should work?  or is there another reason you think it shouldn't work?

bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@stupink - very much doubt you'll get it working reliably. The WAN port is configured for PPP authentication, something I doubt your handset or mobile network knows anything about. I'm surprised you've got it working on either device in any capacity at all. Even if it were to work, I suspect things like CGNAT on the mobile network might also complicate things.

Once connected, the PPP layer of the hub will also probably expect regular keepalive packets from the broadband network. If it doesn't receive these then the connection will drop, which might go someway towards explaining the behaviour you've seen with the older of the two units?

I can't really comment on any of the more technical stuff as it's somewhat hidden behind menu's and networking is without a doubt my least competent computer skill and for a home user medium to kinda okay at best.

My phones a note10+ 5g, samsung build in an option in the menu's for tethering, you can do this with a hotspot, bluetooth, usb, or ethernet via an adaptor like I'm using. So to get the phone working all i do is activate the "ethernet tethering" option, which only becomes un-greyed out when you plug in the usbc-rj45 adaptor.

What protocols the phone uses/expects /accepts I really wouldn't have a clue.

What I do know is other people have done this on other routers, and it typically feeds the WAN port fine and works. but im aware broadband provided units are often "not quite right" as to how they work and only focused on doing their primary job, giving the wifi to the peeeps

Any thoughts on that additional information? or anything I can do using my laptop/mini pc etc to test the phones output to try to get a better idea what's actually going on.

bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@stupink wrote:

What I do know is other people have done this on other routers, and it typically feeds the WAN port fine and works.

What routers and what Internet providers?

I've no experience with Android tethering over ethernet, however I imagine the WAN port of the router would need to be configured to use DHCP or something like that rather than PPPoE. You may well be able to do this using aftermarket equipment, but it's not something that's possible with the EE hub. 

I've seen it with TPlink and cradlepoint , they litterally just turn on ethernet tethering and plug it into the wan and it works. no playing around. 

One mentions ensuring routers set to dynamic ip. I'm wondering if this could be where the issue comes, as when i plug the phone in the router goes through the normal front-light flashes as though its trying to connect to EE still, flashy blue, solid yellow solid red. it's not just looking for my broadband because it stops/restarts this process every time i plug/unplug the wan cable.

Has anyone used the WAN port for anything other than what EE intended? it's looking to me like they have its use locked and its only going to accept EE fibre or something.

What would be a decent replacement router for me that will work with my 60 speed EE fibre? A little extra range by default would be nice so i can reach my garage without putting in repeaters/cable, but its kind of a low value thing for me to make this work, So i'd rather not spend too much.

@stupink   how often is your broadband going down? Maybe your efforts would be best focussed on resolving a line problem if you have one.

That said, the router I currently use is an Asus DSL -AX82U it has seperate 2.4 and %Ghz bands and WiFi6. It also has con a DSL and WAN port that can be configured to switch from DSL to WAN on DSL failure - and other options -but this is what I think you are looking to try and do. But as mention on my earlier post, other dual port routers are available - how much do you want to spend and how automated to you want the switchover to be?

Recent EE routers are based on the same base model use by BT and Plusnet and are designed to keep things as simple to support as possible with very little options to do anything other than the basic functions.

My line is currently stable, but it's only just been fixed recently and i had about 4-5months of "we've fixed it sir" repeat repeat repeat. which is what's instigated this project.

So it really is just a backup in case kind of thing so happy to swap over manually (it's not like it will be plugged it all the time anyway), my main use would more often be just to utilise the 5g speed when downloading new games or some of the steinberg software that's like 100gb+, as I get 250meg+ on 5g and only 60 on my broadband. the range on my phones hotspot is poor and the signals only good upstairs in the bathroom, so i'd like to dangle it in the window on a long lan cable.. then all devices can access it without re-signing in etc.

Thanks for the info on your router, i'll have a look at that one, its within my price range, the other option im pondering is just a non modem router and have it fed by the EE one. I presume this would result in a similar setup, but just a bit less flexible in ways i'll probably never notice. but would mean if i ever swap provider i can just plug in whatever router they provide and keep everything in the house on the same wifi network without swapping things over..

Slowly starting to comprehend everything, thankyou so much for your help and patience.

stupink
Investigator
Investigator

I meant to also mention I would have liked to put an SSD on the router for access, and EE loves USB 1.0 making it next to pointless even when it does decide to work. so that would also be a nice upgrade to get an actual useable port 🙂