cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Static IP or Fixed IP on LAN - Smart Hub Plus

Bazyle
Investigator
Investigator

This relates to the LOCAL in-your-house network or LAN not the public outside web address (WAN)
Since a search showed a lot of muddled posts without a clear explanation this may help.
You might need to set a fixed IP for a particular device, say a camera, server or iot device inside your home so you can find it to control it if it produces a web management interface.
You can do this in the management pages of the Smart Hub Plus and probably some others by logging into the management pages, (192.168.1.254), go to 'advanced' and enter password, then go to 'my network' and find the tab near the top of that page for 'address table'. In here you see your devices listed.
Click on the one you want to control and it gives you a page that includes the current address it has and a button to toggle between static and DHCP. You can set a different address from the one it currently shows if you want to. Don't forget to save the new settings.

(Not on this topic but often confused is getting fixed IP on the public WAN, normally because you want to run a server. Running a public server is outside your terms and conditions for a domestic connection. A business account should expect to have it but it needs a business modem with special software as the process is more complex {a sort of VPN})

3 REPLIES 3
Augmatic
Explorer

Do you know if its possible to see a list of all static IPs that have been assigned? I built a new home media server to replace an old one and I want to use the same IP, but for some reason it won't allow me to assign it. I'm able to assign other IP addresses no problem. I was wondering if i have to un-assign the old one first somehow. But I don't see anywhere to do that. And I'm not able to reconnect the old server. Is this a reset to factory settings situation? Any help would be great.

Yes, you will have to remove the old one as it doesn't know you have changed your equipment until you tell it. Although it shows you an IP address it is more concerned with the MAC address of the old server. It is still reserving the IP for that MAC address in case you plug it in again.

Thanks for the reply. That’s what I suspected. And there’s no way to delete that reserved IP without reconnecting the old server? It’s not an option since the old server effectively died. So I guess a factory reset it is. Cheers!