Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Caller display since moving to EE

ljt84
Investigator
Investigator

Hi

I moved from BT to EE on the 4th of September, and ever since then, I've lost caller display. It was working perfectly up until migration day (4th of Sep)

I've called up EE around 3 times since then. I had an engineer out who couldn't see any physical issues as to why it wouldn't work, but changed the equipment at the exchange to see if it would reset the service but still no luck.

The faults just then get closed off and I have to ring back up and re-report (this will be the 4th time) There is no follow up, no escalation process, the faults seem to just get lost in the ether!

So how do I get this issue resolved? Apparently it's showing as enabled on my account, but all the operators say the option is greyed out on their end so cant "disable and then re-enable". I've tried dialling  *234# from the line, but I just get the message saying "this service cannot be enabled on this line" message.

Help!

11 REPLIES 11
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Does your landline work other than for Caller ID? 

From the next day, 5th Sept, OR's WLR Withdrawal stop sell rules apply, which means that no new landlines may be sold or possibly even existing landlines migrated to a new provider. I do wonder if this might have something to do with it.

Otherwise the only way to get Caller ID put on your line is by requesting it from CS.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
ljt84
Investigator
Investigator

Hi

Yeah landline works fine other than every call we get just says "incoming call" now instead of the actual number, so we don't know before we answer whether it's a family/friend or a spam call/unrecognised number etc. 

According to the CS reps I've spoken to (3 now) caller display is showing as active on my account, but they found it odd that the option was greyed out on their system when they tried to untick (disable) and then re-tick to enable it again on their system.

There is nothing physically wrong with the line either. It tests OK, and the exchange concentrator equipment has been changed just in case. Nobody at EE seems to know what to do so they just close the fault, which is getting rather annoying now as it I keep going around in circles. 

It's got to be something that didn't switch over properly when I went from BT to EE, something to do with the account, not a physical problem as such. 

I've even suggested moving to the new VoIP Digital voice system to see if moving to that would kick start the caller ID, but they didn't seem interested in trying that when I suggested it. 

You'll need to be on Full Fibre to get DV.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
ljt84
Investigator
Investigator

Ah maybe that's why then. I'm on G.Fast service! 

Storm500
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@XRaySpeX "You'll need to be on Full Fibre to get DV."

You can get DV with ADSL, VDSL, G-Fast as well as Full Fibre broadband.

@Storm500 : Yes, I guess I was thinking more about the router that is supplied by EE for ADSL, and also VDSL, and so theoretically DV should capable with a more modern router. You won't get much DV from a Brightbox :). 

Storm500
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@XRaySpeX No to get DV you have to put a BT/EE router first connect to the master socket for ADSL/VDSL or ONT for FTTP.  There are a number of posts on the BT community detailing how to connect your own router to the BT/EE router such as https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Using-Digital-voice-with-an-alternative-rou...

Exactly, @Storm500, you need to be supplied with the correct model of BT/EE router in the 1st place, which EE ADSL and VDSL users won't have. 

ljt84
Investigator
Investigator

I have the EE smart router (https://www.eehomebroadband.com/Home/ProductsDesc/110)

So I believe that would work with DV. 

So do any staff from EE read this forum or am I going to have to ring up CS again and go round in circles trying to get caller display working?