cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from BT to EE with Advanced Digital Home Phone with Alexa

garywood84
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I have recently moved from BT to EE for broadband and digital voice. Although EE sent me a new router and smart wifi devices, I have retained my original BT Advanced Digital Home Phones with Alexa. 

I've re-registered these phones to the new router, and so they are working to both make and receive calls.

However, the Alexa function is not working: when I press the Alexa button, or try to access Alexa Settings from the phone's main menu, I see "Alexa is not available" on the phone's display.

Anyone else experienced this issue or know of a solution, please?

30 REPLIES 30
Storm500
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@XRaySpeX  The BT Advanced Digital Home Phones with Alexa don’t have a separate base station. The base station is built into the EE hub.

Ah, OK, @Storm500 , I imagined it was sold as a complete set.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
garywood84
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

It's connecting wirelessly, via DECT, I assume. The BT Advanced Digital Phone with Alexa doesn't have any ports for wired connection.

cgee1
Explorer

why couldn,t bt lerave things alone.

alexa woll ring the home phone  but the mobilebut can,t use it on the phone its self.This is so bad 

cgee1
Explorer

yes and the phones kep loosing connection 

THIS SO UNFAIR THEY DON,T MENTION THAT WHEN CHANGING OVER

Perks46
Investigator
Investigator

I certainly have experienced this issue. Having spent a couple of hours tryin the get the alexa feature to work. Re doing everything several times I took to using a Chat line to BT/EE (Phone calls just sat on hold) Spent over 3 hours!!! transfered to a number of differet agents who kept telling me it was an Amazon problem and I should speak to them.
It was obvious that the fault was not Amazons but to complete the task I contacted Amazon and they checked all they could but refered it back to BT/EE with the sugestion of return the phone.
I purchsed it from the EE store but it is in no way linked to the BT/EE help lines.
I eventually found this Forum item which confirmed my thinking that the new Hub does not support the Phones. I spoke to the help line again and requested that the find out if the intention is to make this phone work?
I also established that you cannot back up your phonee numbers held on the hub as there is No export feature so if they factory reset the new hub you will lose all the numbers.

mountain-goat
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm as I have it on good authority from the BT Executive Complaints dept. that the BT Advanced Digital Phone with Alexa does NOT work with the EE smart hub and it's not only the Alexa aspect that doesn't work. I have 3 of these phones! I have been advised by the BT Executive Complaints dept. that the BT Essential Home Phone does work with the EE smart hub  so I have just ordered 3 of these. I'll keep the Alexa ones as I assume at some point in the future they will work with an EE Hub.

So the advert below is missleading and I wonder if it should be reported to trading standards!

https://store.ee.co.uk/category/electronics,telephony,telephones/11206?Type=Cordless_phone&Brand=BT&...

advert.jpg

Good point. I haven't seen that advert up until now. What it also doesn't say is that it only works with BT Hub2 which I recall is emblazoned on the box it's delivered in. In theory I shouldn't have opened any of the boxes and sent them back but I assumed because BT and EE were teaming up the phone would work and Alexa would follow otherwise it's all a bit silly.

I have had a massive issue with EE because I moved to EE in November last from BT to get the 1.6Gbs service and it's been a nightmare. Only made progress recently through knowing someone high up in the business and them getting the BT Executive Complaints dept. involved. However, still can't get the service without possibly loosing my landline number I've had for 40 years so have to wait until they roll it out to existing customers and they have no idea when that will be. Only way to move is to go back to BT, new hub etc. then after a few days go back to EE, new hub etc., on the faster service. That's where I may lose my phone number in the back and forth. All apparently because of constraints within the systems used by EE. To add insult to injury I am paying £74.99 a month for a service you now pay £46.99 for and they won't reduce my cost, system issue apparently, and only offer £50 compensation!!!!

I think there are a lot of BT customers in the same situation i.e. moved over and now can't get the faster service.

I also think BT/EE just didn't think the process through and now it's a huge mess!

I'm not a happy bunny!

I share your experience in that I was pushed into the new system when my existing contract with EE broadband came to an end. I insisted that my landline number was to be retained as part of the deal. They (Open reach) installed and the system failed to work. It took well over 4 months to get anything like a land line service and I spoke to over 50 so called Guides and each time they tried a new way of making it work or talked a good story.

I was passed between EE, BT and & Open Reach on many occasions until one guide accept the responsibility of owning the problems.

Eventually (Months) she got things working!! Seems the legacy contract had not been closed correctly and that prevented the number transfer and several other things from working. But the intervention actions by the so called guides just seemed to have create more and more issues. 

The fact was that EE & BT guides who supposedly were now all working under the guise of New EE did not have an amalgamated system to work with and had not got a clue about the issues with the new system or even to opposite system to their base training (Ie they were either BT or EE).

I still have probs because the EE app cannot manage the fact that I have 2 Mobiles with them on what appears to be a different system to the Broadband and they cannot merge the 2 into the APP!!

I cannot see the contract details and I keep getting notification that my bill is due and I cannot see it because of this problem so I have to phone to get to know how much they are going to debit.

So the phones not working did not really come as a surprise. It seems the Handsets are in a similar world that what worked in the past with one system does not now work with the latest instals.

I think your comment "I also think BT/EE just didn't think the process through and now it's a huge mess!" is a very polite way of summing up the current situation.

Did your contact with the BT Executive Complaints dept provide any assurances that the problems are actually being worked on or is it a situation that was previously mentioned that unless there is a ground swell of complaints they are not prepared to get it right? 

Perhaps the Execs at BT/EE/EEnew, if they bother to read the forum posts, will be good enough to reply as to what is being done now to correct the issues and how long we are expected to wait for the resolution?

I have just had delivered a replacement hand set per the recommendations mentioned in my first posting and I feel sure it will not have the full functionality described in the advert!!!!

Do I return this one for a refund under that NOT AS DESCRIBED clause in the sale of goods act or is there a chance it will be made to work?