cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone happy with EE

timprocter
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Just drifted over from the BT forums as I have taken the plunge to take up the offer on the "Full Fibre Busiest Home Bundle"

Made a couple of posts on this forum and getting warnings already from other users saying "Stay away" and "Don't bother"🙄

I know people visit these forums to sort out problems that states the obvious.

It goes without saying there must be EE users that are happy with their service.

I know people won't frequent this forum if they aren't having trouble but can anyone lift my spirits a little saying they joined the same 1.6GHz package and it's working perfect without issue.

A quick yes will suffice please or maybe a couple of lines saying how well it went.🙂 

Full Fibre Busiest Home Bundle 1.6Gb.
36 REPLIES 36
timprocter
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@A319 wrote:

I’ve made a jump from VM 600mb BB to EE Full Fibre 900mb (previously never considered moving away from VM due to low speed availability) with no issues so far at all, even using my own ASUS router thanks to the help from people within this forum advising me to change to PPPoe

Sounds good to me mate, I just purchased this Asus Router for my impending install of the premium package.🤗

Router.jpg

garywood84
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@A319 wrote:

...even using my own ASUS router...

That may very well be the reason you're having a positive experience. Most people here who have moved over from BT are not having a good experience, but the issue isn't the connection: it's the hardware provided and the app to support it, which seems like it shouldn't have been released from beta testing given all the faults that are occurring with it.

timprocter
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Very much the same when BT released their 900 / 110 package, the only people having problems were the ones using the horrible supplied BT Smart Hub. 

Mine worked perfect at full speed from day 1 using an Asus Router.

BT FTTP 910 110Mbps Asus RT-AX88U (youtube.com)

@garywood84 : This Kitz discussion, New FTTP with 2.5GbE ONT , might give you some idea.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
garywood84
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Oh really? That's interesting @timprocter. The frustration for many of us here is that we moved from BT services with the BT Smart Hub 2, which was actually pretty good. The EE Smart Hub Plus is poor in comparison and the EE app is terrible - it can't have been through proper testing. The only saving grace is that the Smart Hub Plus is WiFi 6, so the WiFi is significantly faster than with the BT Smart Hub 2, which is only WiFi 5 enabled.

I'd look at getting my own kit, and will have to at some point, to move over to 1.6Gbps and be able to connect to that via ethernet (the Smart Hub Plus only has gigabit ethernet ports!), but it's not straightforward for me at the moment, because subscribe to EE's Digital Voice service, which will only work with its hub, and the hub has to be the first device connected to the ONT. So, switching to my own hardware would require that I abandon Digital Voice and move to a third party VOIP service.

garywood84
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

@garywood84 : This Kitz discussion, New FTTP with 2.5GbE ONT , might give you some idea.

@XRaySpeX This is helpful, mate - thank you. It's definitely smaller than the ONT I currently have. And it's uglier, too: the one I have has a small door at the bottom, behind which, are all the ports - so all the cables connect and then exit the box through a small opening in one perimeter of the door.

timprocter
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@garywood84  Hi mate, you must have been one of the lucky one's who didn't have problems with the original BT Smart Hub.

I see the same BT moderators address problems on this EE forum too but if they are honest (and allowed) they would confirm just how many were having problems at the time with capped speeds both up and down.

Happy you had success with yours's though it makes life much less stressful as we both know.👍

Anyway back to today my new EE Router and Smart WiFi device arrived but it will be staying brand new in the box like my BT Smart Hub did.

Hoping the Asus AXE11000 serves me well in my upcoming instalment  on 29th December.

Fingers crossed.😁

garywood84
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@timprocter I never had the original Smart Hub - my first BT device was the Smart Hub 2, so perhaps they'd ironed out the problems by the second release?

I would switch to my own kit if I could, but because I have EE Digital Voice, I'm holding out, because using my own kit would mean porting me number to a third party VOIP provider so that I don't need the EE Smart Hub Plus.

Are you using a mesh network mate, or just the Asus router to provide coverage for your whole property?

A319
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

This is what I have, previously when on VM I used their hub3 as modem only and my ASUS as router, now this is plugged directly into ONT and works just as before with my EE broadband. 

ZenWiFi XT8 (2 Pack) WiFi 6 AX6600 Whole Home WiFi Tri-Band Mesh System - PS5 compatible QDDKX1S

timprocter
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Just the router in the house Gary, I ran a Cat 6 cable round the house to a TP Link EAP225 outdoor antenna to supply my Tesla car with the updates and everything works real good.

I live in a large bungalow so the Asus serves the whole house with ease, Smart TV's, CCTV all around the house and of course iPads, iPhones, computer etc all have a great connection.