cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot setup third party router Linksys Velop with EE Smart Hub router

squall_law
Explorer

I am struggling in setting up my Linksys Velop MX5300 with EE smart hub router.

Already understood that

(A) internet username (PRODUCTIONHQNUN123456@fs) from EE router admin (192.168.1.254) and password (HQNPASS123456)

(B) VLAN ID = 101

(C) PPPoE

In the setup through my Linksys App, it keeps saying that "couldn't connect to the internet"

To resolve this, appreciate if someone can help

(1) What ports should I connect between EE and Linksys with an ethernet cable?

(Gig Ethernet 1-3, or WAN on EE) and (Internet(WAN) or Ethernet 1-4(LAN) on Linksys)

(2) Any other settings could help?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

The Linksys Velop MX5300 incorporates no modem. So either you have a separate modem or you continue to use the EE SH as the main modem-router.

1. No, that's done in the EE SH.
  2. "
  3. WAN should just be Ethernet.

Connect any port of the EE SH (WAN is only in operation if WAN = ON in its settings) to WAN on the Linksys.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Ian06
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi @squall_law ,  you might not find many people on hear familiar with your Linksys Router, I would look to see if you can get help from the Linksys forums.

What type of EE Router do you have - can it be put in Bridge mode (modem only?)

If it doesn't support bridge mode then you'll need to use the linksys in "Child" mode and the EE credential don't need to be configured in the Linksys - just try connecting the Linksys internet port to one of the EE router's LAN ports.

If you have the EE router in "bridge mode" (and I don't know if they support bridge mode) then the LAN 1 port should be connected to the Internet port on the Linksys and the PPPoE credentials would be installed on the Linksys as the main router.

If you have full fibre then the ONT should be connected to the Linksys Internet port and the Linksys will act as your main router and the EE router shouuld not be connected.

Hope that's of some help..!

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@Ian06 : The EE Smart Hub which OP has cannot be put into Bridge/Modem Only mode.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
squall_law
Explorer

Unfortunately there is no bridge mode in my EE SH.

And the Linksys app setup keeps saying "couldn't connect" with PPPoE and my EE username and password.

Looks like there is no solution while it has no bridge mode in EE SH and also no modem in Linksys....

You don't connect the Linksys by PPPoE. The EE SH is doing that. What are the other WAN connection options on the Linksys?