cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT contract left me with £113 bill…..

HSI
Investigator
Investigator

Just looking for some help as I transferred my broadband from Vodafone to EE (via BT) after visiting an EE store to upgrade my daughters phone. 
I asked three times if I needed to contact Vodafone to close my broadband account and repeatedly told no  and that it would be taken care of. 
It turns out that BT/EE didn’t notify Vodafone and the charges have been ramping up every month and I now owe them £113. BT are not taking any responsibility and I really don’t know where to go…….. help!! 

14 REPLIES 14
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

What do you mean by " EE (via BT)"? Did you move your BB from Voda to BT & then to EE or what? Have you moved to Full Fibre (FTTP) from non-FTTP?

If you have a contract with BT, it has nowt to do with EE or this Community. You need to speak to BT about it.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@HSI  If your contract with Vodafone wasn’t up then you terminated your contract early when you was still within your contract period and that contract has to be paid off,  by terminating early you owe Vodafone for the remaining term of that contract.    A contract it’s just a name it’s an agreement that you agreed to for a set period of time.     

Your BB with Vodafone got taken over by EE so they don’t need to contact Vodafone as such as the line with Vodafone was taken over thus ending your contract with Vodafone which now has to be paid off.  

Hi @Chris_B ,

I was out of contract with Vodafone in early 2022, so no early termination fee. Signed up to  broadband in the EE shop in Dec 22 and BT installed Broadband in Jan 23. As they didn’t contact Vodafone as promised Vodafone we’re still charging me in May 23….

The contract was taken out in the EE store. I signed the paperwork with EE, although BB is supplied by BT. 

It doesn't matter what shop you bought it in but who your contract is with.

The most likely scenario here is that you moved your BB from non-FTTP to FTTP (Full Fibre). In such a case the Gaining ISP (BT) does not inform the Losing ISP (Voda) & it's up to you to cancel your BB with your old ISP. It not a matter of early termination fees but simply that your contract with Voda is still ongoing.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

In that case EE need to give customers the correct information as I  asked several times and was told that I didn’t need to contact VF.  I’m now in debt collection … thanks EE

You needed to check out Ofcom's BB migration GPL (Gaining Provider Led) rules rather than rely on what ISPs tell you.

Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@HSI   Unless I missed it, it appears that you signed up for Full Fibre and had a new Fibre line and ONT installed in January. Previously your broadband was delivered over your phone line. Alas there is no connection with the two methods of delivery and it does mean you need to cancel your previous supplier.

That said there is no reason why you should ignore bills from that supplier, hence if you did they would seek what ever methods they need to recover unpaid bills.

A little bit of good news, EE do have an offer to pay off £50 of previous suppliers bills on presentation of that bill - just do a quick search I am sure you can find it.

As for the shop advice, it may be worth a trip back to speak to the manager. Not a lot fellow customers can other than offer suggestions.

HTH.

Thank you @Mustrum .