Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative to Smart Hub Plus - DNS and VOIP service

liamgc1993
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Openreach only brought FTTP to my area in the last few months.

After 18 months with Hyperoptic I have now switched my broadband provider over to EE's Full Fibre 500.

Like many other people on this forum seem to be, I frankly am very disappointed with the "Smart Hub Plus", particularly with the firmware preventing users from changing the DNS settings.

I have a Raspberry Pi with Pihole as a network-wide adblocker and this requires the router to have alterable DNS settings.

I am considering buying a different router to use in place of the so-called Smart Hub Plus, however I quite like speaking to my Nanan on my landline phone and as far as I understand it the VOIP landline service accessible via the router is a proprietary service based on the BT Digital Voice system and currently not available via third party routers.

What routers provided by BT consumer group companies are compatible with Digital.Voice VOIP landline AND also allow you to set custom DNS settings?

Frankly I find it contemptible that EE should be locking customers out of using such a basic feature on the router but alas we live in an age where companies think their customers are too thick to make their own choices about how tech works.

I have read many other posts and threads wherein people outline their problems with the smart hub plus

---------------
I use:
* EE Mobile (2021 - present)
* EE Full Fibre 500 with Smart Hub Plus (2024 - present)
* Digital Home Phone service with two corded handsets via router and BT Digital Voice WPS/DECT adapter (2024 - present)
1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Since the launch of New EE BB, EE has had many BT BB users migrating to it. EE customer & technical staff are not used to dealing with so many users who are highly knowledgeable of BB, networking & routers, much more so than themselves. So they have dumbed  down on their routers & foolishly off-loaded much of their config to a flimsy app on the false assumption that many new users of New EE BB were too incompetent to do it for themselves.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

The following are compatible with DV:

• EE Smart Hub Plus (SH31B) 

• EE Smart Hub (2023) (SH20A)

• BT Smart Hub 2

These 2 EE Smart Hubs do not allow you to config DNS or DDNS. Can't speak for the BT SH2.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Since the launch of New EE BB, EE has had many BT BB users migrating to it. EE customer & technical staff are not used to dealing with so many users who are highly knowledgeable of BB, networking & routers, much more so than themselves. So they have dumbed  down on their routers & foolishly off-loaded much of their config to a flimsy app on the false assumption that many new users of New EE BB were too incompetent to do it for themselves.

liamgc1993
Contributor
Contributor

wait so there are more settings available on the app? I don't use the app because I wrongly assumed the router would have everything I need on its firmware.

I kind of resent needing an app to manage basic hardware stuff I'm more than capable of doing myself.

This is so lame

---------------
I use:
* Digital Home Phone service with two corded handsets via router and BT Digital Voice WPS/DECT adapter (2024 - present)
liamgc1993
Contributor
Contributor

If anyone out there has the BT Smart Hub 2 with its most recent firmware, can you please let me know if it let's you change DNS settings?

---------------
I use:

Same here x 2 !

Yes, the EE app has Manage WiFi Controls to config much of the router, but it doesn't work well, or not at all, for many users. Hence my calling it "flimsy"!

liamgc1993
Contributor
Contributor

Downloaded the EE app and found it refuses to open because my mobile uses LineageOS which doesn't have the Google Services Framework or Google Play Services.

Its incredibly annoying for EE to make their services less accessible to the portion of customers who happen to take any kind of hobbyist interest in telecoms, networking, software, or technology.

By dumbing down their firmware, locking basic setting out of reach, and restricting the android app's functionality to only standard factory installation versions of Android, EE are actively encouraging technological illiteracy whilst penalising customers who are interested in the world of telecoms.

---------------
I use:

It's also incredibly annoying for EE to make their services less accessible to the portion of customers who happen to not have a smart phone let alone a mobile at all!

niarb
Visitor

I have replaced the EE Smart Hub 2 Plus with a router, a TP-Link ER605, and a modem, a TP-Link TD-W9970. This seems to work well, and allows me to set a DNS proxy as well as have another internet connection load balanced. Happy to provide the config to achieve this. I am now going to try reinstating the "Smart" Hub inside the network solely for connecting the phone line, with all other features turned off. Wish me luck!

bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@liamgc1993 wrote:

I have a Raspberry Pi with Pihole as a network-wide adblocker and this requires the router to have alterable DNS settings.

I am considering buying a different router to use in place of the so-called Smart Hub Plus, however I quite like speaking to my Nanan on my landline phone and as far as I understand it the VOIP landline service accessible via the router is a proprietary service based on the BT Digital Voice system and currently not available via third party routers.

Late to the party, but a solution here is to simply enable DHCP on the Pihole, and disable it on the Smart Hub Plus. That will result in your Pihole dishing out IP leases/DNS addresses to all of the devices on your network (so the ad blocking works), whilst leaving the Digital Voice service etc. intact.