cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A warning to anyone considering switching from BT 900mbs to EE 1600mbs

MooseGB
Visitor

I was a happy existing BT Broadband 900mbs fibre customer. I received an offer from EE to switch to EE broadband, with the following benefits that interested me:

Wifi 6 router

Unlimited data usage on my mobile

1600mbs speed

£4 a month less

Having happily switched my BT Mobile to EE last year. I decided to go ahead and ordered the service on the 7th march. Everything went appeared to go through and I received emails confirming the order, the installation date (21st) and equipment delivery. The new router arrived on the 19th. An Openreach engineer arrived promptly on the 21st supposedly to install the new equipment. However they thought they were there just to upgrade my ONT to a 2.5gbs version (This was not necessary as I already had a 2.5gbs version).

We connected and turned on the router. Everything connected and appeared to be working however on testing, the connection speed was still only 900mbs.

The engineer thought that maybe the new identical ONT would solve the problem so they replaced the old one. It made no difference. The engineer then ran some tests on their mobile phone that showed an error. They contacted their support people who stated that the BT provisioning was still active and the EE provisioning would replace it within 4 hours.

The engineer left promising to contact me later to confirm evrything was ok, they did ring back but nothing had changed, they suggested giving it more time.

Over 24 hours after the installation, nothing had changed so I contacted EE support I eventually spoke to someone who assured me that everything had been processed correctly, I ran some speed checks and appeared to be getting the 1600mbs speed, so I rang off quite happy.

An hour later I ran the spped tests again to discover I was still only getting 900mbs.

A further hour later I receive 2 emails from Openreach, the first apologised for my problem and stated that they intended to fix the problem by the following Thursday, the 2nd email informed me that they had turned on my mobile based mini hub.

30 minutes later my Broadband turned off completely, the PON light on the ONT was red.

I immediately contacted EE support they eventually told me I had to contact a specific BT connections department but as it was now past 9pm they had gone home, so they gave me 2 direct phone numbers to contact them the next morning.

The 2 "direct" numbers turned out to both be for the same automated support system. Spoke to someone who looked into it and stated that they could not do very much as it was the Easter weekend other than esculate the problem to their manager and that they would contact me on the following Tuesday to see if the issues had been resolved.

On Tuesday they weren't. After investigating they stated that the problem would be fixed on Thursday, as stated in the original email from Openreach.

On Thursday evening nothing had changed so contacted EE support yet again. I was told that Openreach had fixed what they had to and the line would be turned on at 12 midnight (this was standard procedure apparently), and they would contact me in the morning to check everything was OK.

At 12 nothing had changed.

In the morning the PON light on the ONT was now flashing green, but still no Broadband.

EE support rang back as promised and booked an Openreach engineer to visit me on Saturday morning, stating that the router needed to be replaced.

Saturday morning came and went with no engineer visit. So I contacted EE support who checked the issue and stated, that the appointment has been cancelled as it had not been confirmed. They could not tell me how the appointment could be confirmed or by whom. They re-booked an Engineer for the following Tuesday afternoon they would also ring me back the following day to confirm the appointment, which they did but the appointment had again not been confirmed and subsequently cancelled.

They stated that the only way to proceed, was to close the original complaint and open a new one. Which they did booking an engineer for the following Wednesday.

The engineer arrived on Wednesday. They checked the line confirming that everything appeared to be working, they contacted their support and had exactly the same conversation as the original engineer on the 21st i.e. nothing provisioned but everything would be fixed in 4 hours.

The engineer left promising to keep on the problem and get back to me.

Within an hour they were back, they had managed to progress their inquiries further up the chain and were now speaking to a department in Belfast who new what was going on. They gave me their phone and I spoke to someone who informed me that in their opinon as an existing BT customer I should never have been sold this upgrade, as there was no procedure in place to efficiently transfer an existing BT account to the EE 1600mbs servers and that it should only be sold to completly new customers. In their experience it would take 10 to 14 days to complete the switch. They would attempt to push through the transfer and ring me back on Friday afternoon (5th April) to update me on their progress.

They rang back today stating that they had passed the transfer through to the SCRIPS Team? who were progressing the transfer and that they had also pushed the transfer further up the chain to the very top department (I forget the name) and they were due to look into it by Tuesday.

They are due to ring me back again on Tuesday afternoon with a progress report.

So one month since the original order and over two weeks since the transfer was due to take place, still no broadband whatsoever.

1 REPLY 1
Robphone
Investigator
Investigator

Mate know the feeling well