cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

speeds have dropped and stayed low for months

Tom_HB
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Since moving into our new home in oct 2020 we have constantly had issues with our internet (very unlucky!).

From "mid oct - end of nov" we had a great internet connection and were getting around 70mbps which is expected from our package.

Then from "Dec - start of Feb" we had no internet at all due to a fault that took way longer than it should have for openreach to solve.

Since then our speeds dropped to around 50mbps, which was ok but then in april - may the internet only held a connection for 2hrs at a time, then the router had to be factory reset every time for it to work. At this point, the internet also dropped even lower to 16mbps at one point!

Finally, since this last issue was fixed in may, our speeds have gone all the way down to 30mbps and haven't improved at all. 

So all I'm asking is, what can I do? On the EE status page the downstream sync rate has been put to 35mbps for months and no amount of uninterrupted up time has improved our connection speeds.

Screenshot 2021-10-01 190033.pngScreenshot 2021-10-01 190118.png

Thanks, Tom

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The DLM system has put you on a banded profile in response to past errors on your line, at the top of the up to 35 Meg band of these VDSL Banded Profiles. You need to give the DLM time to relent & remove any banding. If your sync speed at the test socket remains stuck at the same speed for 10 days you should ask EE to investigate the underlying fault. If a fault is found and fixed then the OR engineer may request a DLM reset. However should significant errors persist the DLM will reapply banding.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Which EE BB product have you bought, just Fibre or Fibre Plus?

What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hey,

thanks for the quick reply. We have fibre plus. I'd also like to note that sometime around may, a phone line engineer did come out and also do something to the green box. I think "clear the line" as there was a bit of noise. Also on our phone, we have no crackling from the quiet line test. (I've just seen that's a common thing you ask and its saves you the hassle). Cheers!

Screenshot 2021-10-01 192234.png

Is the QLT silent at the test socket?

no, i can try if that makes a difference!!

I tried two phones, an old digital one and a rotary phone.

The rotary phone is completely silent during the initial talking but I can't do the silent test as it can't select any options due to the nature of the phone, haha!

The digital one was able to do the test but I believe the phone naturally has a subtle grainy sound and isn't the line itself as the rotary one is completely silent when on the line.

A bit of an odd way to do it but we don't use the landline so haven't bought a new digital phone for years!!

The DLM system has put you on a banded profile in response to past errors on your line, at the top of the up to 35 Meg band of these VDSL Banded Profiles. You need to give the DLM time to relent & remove any banding. If your sync speed at the test socket remains stuck at the same speed for 10 days you should ask EE to investigate the underlying fault. If a fault is found and fixed then the OR engineer may request a DLM reset. However should significant errors persist the DLM will reapply banding.

If your sync speed at the test socket remains stuck at the same speed for 10

Ok. I highly doubt it'll improve over the next 10 days as it hasn't budged for a few months now due to all the previous issues we unfortunately had.

So I guess my next step would be to contact ee to see if there's any new issues they can detect and if not, to see if they would arrange for an engineer to reset the dlm system.

Thanks for the help.

Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Tom_HB  given your speeds are quite a bit below the Handback speed on the DSL checker, and presumably your minimum speeds from EE, were it me I would keep on to EE until you get your speeds sorted and stable.

Unfortunately, this may take a while if you are unlucky, it may take some effort and time from you as it is likely there is more than one fault on the line resulting in lower speeds.

Before that though and to help rule out your internal wiring, can you confirm you have a filtered master socket and you are not plugged into an extension?

Also have you noticed any difference in sync or attainable speeds between where you are plugged in and in the test socket?

@Mustrum 

Hey, yeah we have just this week been contacting EE again to see if they can detect any faults.

Apparently there is an MSO fault that was supposed to of been completed on the 30th sept however, we've been told this any time we have phoned up, since January 2021! Openreach keep putting the completion date back to the end of each month. So we have been kept in the dark and I don't know why whatever they're doing is taking this long...?

I don't think this is the reason for the speed drop to 30mbps, as we did get around 50mbps during the year (in March and april) before our box had the other issues during May.

Our master socket is the "Master socket 5C" with Mk4 face plate. When I've tested the Internet through the test socket or via the face plate, they act exactly the same. Speeds and sync rates.

Hope this helps. Cheers.