cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Xperia 1 iii signal

Fzrkev
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi guys. I have the above handset and after getting it swapped due to a camera issue, I've noticed another EE specific issue. Why do we not have the ability to manually switch to 4g in marginal areas? The second SIM does, which is Virgin, but as soon as I put in the EE SIM, the option to manually select vanishes. There are areas I frequent where i get 0 bars of 5g and as a result, the data connection is very slow. Why won't the handset switch? Can we get the option to manually switch back please?  

4 REPLIES 4
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Fzrkev

Welcome to the community.

So your phone doesn't automatically switch from 5G to 4G? Are there any network maintenance works in your area? You can check the status on our coverage checker.

Chris

EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

5G currently sits on top of the 4G Network (LTE NR NSA mode) so in theory in Poor or No 5G Coverage Areas your Phone will automatically use 4G.

EE do restrict a lot of Handsets from having 5G being switched off in Preferred Network Mode, the only real Benifit in doing this is to save a little bit of Battery Power, or unless, as @Christopher_G points out, there could be a Network issue.

If absolutely need be you can force 5G Off within the 4636 Secret Code Setting access, if the Handset or network Firmware gives you access to this, but this can lead to other Issues if the correct Settings are not used, so not always recommend.

Fzrkev
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the replies. The issue I feel is that the handset holds on to 5g signals too long when in areas of weak signal. The areas I'm in show outdoor only 5g, but strong 4g so theoretically, it should switch no problem but instead, holds on to 5g until it's almost unusable before switching. I never noticed this with the Find X3 Pro so maybe it's a Sony thing. 

Doesn't quiet work that way, and can differ from Device to Device, just because you've got a 5G Signal Icon showing, or in your case a week one, doesn't always mean your using the 5G Bandwidth, as said currently 5G sits on top of 4G, it's very similar the way 4G+ works with Carrier Aggregation, it sometimes needs a.decent Download to kick in.

An example of this is if you did a Speed Test, then stopped the Test half way through, then quickly started the test again you may get a much improved Speed on the second Test as CA (4G+) or 5G extra Bandwidths kick in, which is something it wouldnt do if your just downloading a short Data burst, like an short Email, then on top of that you things like MiMo to consider.

When the Networks start rolling out 5G SA (NR Stand Alone Networks) then things will vastly improve in Real Speeds and very fast Latency Times, but we're a fair few years away from that stage.