cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Xbox Live high ping

Kevin68
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I've been having problems while gaming on Xbox Live. Since Friday 5th my ping has been roughly 60ms but keeps increasing to around 250 - 280ms. Before the date above the ping was a lot more stable.

When I do a speedtest im getting 45-60ms ping and speeds of roughly 60mb down and 30mb up, I've changed nothing within the router and i've asked customer support but nothing has improved.

My router is the Huawei B535-232 and i'm using an external antenna which is the Poynting A-XPOL-0001.

Thanks to anyone who answers

4 REPLIES 4
Kevin68
Contributor
Contributor

Forgot to say i'm on 4Gee mobile data

Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Kevin68 

The 4G network isn't really designed for demanding online console gaming. You are better off with a landline. 

Depending on the network demands, location, users then your ping will be a lot more unreliable.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.

Hi, Thanks for reply. We don't have access to high speed dsl yet, this was a workaround until it's available, it's just strange that the ping was fine for months up until a couple a weeks back then it became erratic only on the Xbox. My downloads are fast and I can stream videos at 1080p on my laptop without any buffering but it's just the xbl ping that's the problem.

Hi @Kevin68 ,

Is the console already wired to the router either directly or using a powerline network adapter? Both these options should improve latency over half-duplex WiFi.

It's worth checking the OpenSignal app to see what latency other customers find in your area. It's possible there's been some recent change or recent fault somewhere and this could be the new normal, or it might revert to your previous experience if a further change or fix occurs.

My normal unloaded ping using 4G LTE varies between 23 ms and 35 ms. Early in my contract, a slight change in router position improved the SINR from sub 5 dBm to better than 10 dBm and performance became much improved as connections were made to cell towers away from the town centre.

Subsequent to a Netgear MR1100 firmware update, I now find the device typically uses B1 when previously it used B3 and B7 so any automated firmware updates may have an impact (in my case, initially negatively as the webgui became broken and required a factory reset).

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net