cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Very slow connection when using PC with EE fibre 150mbps

Uzer13
Explorer

Hi.

I have had EE Fibre broadband for ages now without any issues, its mostly fast and reliable (unless im using my pc)

I bought a new gaming pc. And if i run a speed test i see speeds as low as 4 mbps.

I run my ps4 test it was 85mbps.

So im getting completely different results at different times no matter what speedtest i do.

i was using BT wholesale test as that is the reccomended one by EE.

By the way all my devices use ethernet cable except things like my tablet and phone.

Also does anyone know if its cheaper to not have a land line with packages like fibre 150mbps if thats even possible?

I have the openreach socket installed and a 6 port ethernet switch if that makes any difference.

do i need the adsl switch on my phone jack or not?

if this carries on and i need a engineer to come out will i have to pay for it?

I mean if theres advertised speeds on one device and not on another why is this?

thanks

LP

3 REPLIES 3
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

Fibre w/out landline (number) is always possible & is £2 pm cheaper.

@Uzer13 wrote:

do i need the adsl switch on my phone jack or not?

What do you mean by an ADSL Switch? Even Fibre Max 150 is DSL.

Is it the BB as a whole dropping or just the WiFi connections? Do Ethernet connected devices stay working? What colours are the light sequence when it happens?

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats:

• For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.
  • For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information. Obscure your names & any numbers in the BB Username & also the SSIDs.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

hi i have used a function on my pc called dual boost which uses wifi and ethernet simultaneously and uplugged the filter as it wasnt necessary.

im getting a steady 120mbps on bt speedtest.

im wondering if its time dependent because my connection was terrible earlier trying to download an tarkov update 

thanks for your help and i will check now and then see if everrything is ok

Hi @Uzer13 ,

At the time when you see bad 4 Mbps measured bandwidth, do fast.com and speedtest.net agree the measured bandwidth is bad? When you see bad download speeds, I think it's worth running a simultaneous fast.com test to see if the issue might be on the remote server side.

Having an additional unnecessary filter when there is one built-in to your master socket won't cause any harm and could be added back in if you see errors or indications the data line is unclean.

It would only be useful to use WiFi and Ethernet simultaneously if combining them exceeds the performance of the wired Ethernet connection alone, otherwise you are causing your PC to perform some degree of switching. WiFi is half duplex so you would additionally introduce latency issues, on top of CPU switching, as compared to a wired connection.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net