cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Use 4GEE Home Router

Redbirds
Explorer

I’ve great internet on my computer which I’m sharing via the Ethernet.

I simply want to setup my 4GEE Home Router (version 1 not the new version 2) to send this Ethernet as WiFi across my house.

How do I do this?

I think this is called using the router as an Access Point but I might be wrong?

I’ve tried plugging my internet source (the computer) into the LAN1/WAN port but it doesn’t work.  My understanding was that WAN was for connecting to an internet source?  Perhaps what’s plugged in to the WAN is only for sharing with the other LAN port and not the WiFi as well?

Is there a setting that toggles the LAN1/WAN port to being a LAN port or a WAN port?

Thanks so much for the help.

5 REPLIES 5
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Redbirds   Your router outputs the WiFi signal and your router is your connection to the internet.  Your pc is just a away of accessing the internet. 

Thanks.

I’m aware of that but how do I turn my 4GEE Home Router into an Access Point?

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Redbirds wrote:

I’ve great internet on my computer which I’m sharing via the Ethernet.

How is your PC getting Internet? Is it that you have a fixed BB connection which your PC is connected to & you want add the 4GEE Home Router to it as a WAP? If so, who is your ISP supplying the BB & which router did it give you?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Without knowing your exact model number it's difficult, but I'm fairly sure what your trying to do, your 4GEE MiFi Device will not do what you are trying to achieve.

The WAN/LAN Port on your 4GEE will be for Sharing your EE Mobile Internet Connection via Ethernet to a Device or another Router, but not the other way around which I believe is what your trying to achieve.

Your need to invest in another Device more suitable for your application.

@EssexBoyEE : The WAN port of any router is an input to it from any source of the Internet, e.g. another router, which I think is how the OP views it. I just think he has mis-identified the other source of the Internet.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)