cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Upgrading from 'Fibre Plus' to 'Fibre Max 900' but want a new line installing

Stee_784
Investigator
Investigator

Upgrading from 'Fibre Plus' to 'Fibre Max 900' but want a new line installing in a different room.

I currently have 'Fibre Plus' and would like to upgrade to 'Fibre Max 900', after checking via the online tool that this package is available to our property.

I understand that if I upgrade I will lose my landline due to the change that needs to be made by the BT engineer, this is fine.

However, I would like to position the router more centrally to provide a stronger signal around our house, currently, the router sits at the far corner of our house so the signal in the backside and garden is sporadic. I also want to plug my main PC in using an ethernet cable instead of relying on the sporadic Wifi connection and I don't want to run an ethernet cable around the house or purchase multiple "boosters" to place around the house either.

The best solution to tick all the above boxes is to have a new port installed in the room I use as my office which is an upstairs bedroom.

According to EE's online support documentation the 'HOW IS FIBRE TO THE PREMISES INSTALLED' guide and the supporting video that has been embedded on this page EE states you agree with the engineers where the connection will be installed.

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/broadband-and-landline/home-broadband/full-fibre-installation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkuuKgC50cE

However, after being told conflicting things by the sales team at EE, one saying a new line can be fitted and another says they will only use the existing line I'm reluctant to upgrade until I can have this confirmed.

So my main question is.

If I upgrade from 'Fibre Plus' to 'Fibre Max 900' can I have a new external box, cable & internal Openreach box (ONT)/Router placed where I want it placed inside the property (which will be a 1st-floor bedroom at the back of our house) regardless of there been a line already installed?

If no then why not and why does the online help section say otherwise?

If yes then that's great & as the EE support says you agree with the engineer where the line & box will be placed I'm assuming there is no additional charge for the fitting of the new line?

19 REPLIES 19
Mustrum
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

Sorry, but I do not think you have understood the basics, and have yet to work out how a new fibre can reach your property.

pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

@Stee_784  Which current box are you on about? If you currently do not have FTTP then any box inside or out would become redundant.

If you do already have FTTP then no engineer would attend and the upgrade would just lift the cap from fibre plus speed to fibre max 900.

Again if you do already have FTTP you can request the entry point be changed provided you are willing to pay for it. Expect a charge of at least £200+.

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@Stee_784 : What existing box? Did you read my 1st reply? I'm not sure you even followed the video.

1. The whole caboodle to do with the landline becomes redundant or is replaced. That goes for the phone sockets on the walls, the copper phone cables within the fabric of the house and obviously the copper phone cables coming to the exterior of the house from underground or telephone pole are ripped out & replaced by fibre. Within the house it is all replaced by the ONT modem fixed to an exterior wall. Usually OR will try to follow the path of the old landline if they can.
  2. There is no "cable that goes through the external wall into my house and into the router". The cable that goes through the external wall into your house ends at the ONT fixed to an exterior wall. OR/EE's responsibility ends there! It is your responsibility to connect your router to the ONT by Ethernet (not Fibre). While they are there OR will test the fibre connection with a adjacent computer of your choice.

As I said earlier, there may be other alternative solutions but you are preventing me looking at them.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@Mustrum 

Sorry, but I do not think you have understood the basics, and have yet to work out how a new fibre can reach your property.

I don't need to understand it, their checker states I can have their max fibre package and EE's support is supposed to be there to answer questions like I've tried to ask which in summary has been.

Yes or no can the fibre box/router be placed in a specific room of my house?

Answers received so far from EE via 2 separate calls to the broadband team has been yes and no.

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

No wonder! The "Fibre Box" isn't the router! The ONT is the Fibre modem. The router is Etherneted to the ONT & is in your province. As you hadn't yet grasped this simple fact you must be asking of EE confusing Qs, so as to get confusing As. GIGO!

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Mustrum
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@Stee_784  So far the only realistic answer is maybe, but doubtful from what you have said so far.

You have not responded to any of the basic questions, or posted the DSL Checker results, so whilst you might get higher speeds, it is all guesswork without as to getting it where you want it.

pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

@Mustrum @XRaySpeX @Stee_784  The answer is quite simple. If the OP is already on FTTP then no engineer will attend to re-route the connection anywhere unless he pays for it (that's a whole new bag of worms).

If he is on FTTC atm then what he wants is possible.

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@pip11 : OP can't be already on FTTP. He has a landline & has no hole drilled in walls between boxes inside & out.

I'm currently on 'Fibre Plus' (EE's naming convention) and have a landline phone - I did say this and by upgrading to a 'Fibre Max' package I was aware I'd lose the landline phone.

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

What @pip11 is on about is that there an FTTP variant of EE Fibre Plus. So we can't tell by the title alone but must make deductions from the other facts you tell us.