cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Unlocking Huawei B525s - 23a Router

Nick_Riviera
Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

I had a mobile broadband contract with EE for just over 2 years (bought directly from EE originally on an 18 month contract) using a Huawei B525s - 23a router. I ended the contract and put a Lebara SIM in the router but it doesn't work (the light to the right of the power light shows red). When I log into the router I get the following message:

"UNLOCK DEVICE The device has been locked. Contact your ISP to obtain the SIMLOCK code. Enter the correct SIMLOCK code to unlock the device. If the remaining number of unlock attempts is 0 the device will be permanently unlocked"

According to the router there are 10 remaining attempts to unlock. I requested an unlock code from EE customer services around a week ago and was told it would take 48 - 72 hours.

The Lebara SIM works fine (can make calls, send texts and browse internet) in a phone.

What is a SIMLOCK code and can I only get it from EE?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

5 REPLIES 5
EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Lebra use Vodafone so in effect outputting another Network SIM into a locked EE Network Device, hence why you are getting the Message.

In order to proceed your need to get the Device Unlocked to all Networks.

Just to add just getting the Router Unlocked will not change any specific EE Firmware on the Router but it should work fine but maybe with some limitations, but cross that bridge as and when.

Thanks for your reply, I thought it would be something like that. Unfortunately the person I spoke to at EE when I cancelled the contract a few weeks ago assured me the router did not need to be unlocked and should work with any other SIM, and, when I called up again last week the person I spoke to also seemed surprised the router was locked but said they would forward my information to a team that would send me an unlock code in 48 - 72 hrs which hasn't happened.

Is there any way to get the router unlocked without dealing with EE?

Pretty much all EE Phones and Devices supplied by EE are Network (SIM) Locked to E E Network.

If your out of Contract with EE then they should unlock for free for you, so I would recommend you follow that route.

Thanks, hopefully someone from EE will chip in with some help as I've seen them do on other threads.

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Nick_Riviera

I've sent you a private message to get some more information from you.

Please have a look and get back to me.

Thanks

Chris