cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Unlimited data phone SIM in 4G router/giftable limits

cdudley1
Explorer

Hi

I am aware that this topic has been covered in a number of other threads, but my issue is not entirely addressed by them. 

I have an unlimited data phone SIM in a 4G router and get decent speeds. I am aware of the FUP policy that states that no more than 11 additional devices can be connected. This is fine for me and works if everything connects wirelessly to the router.

When I connect a BT Whole Home wifi disc to the router via ethernet, this works, but then the router cuts off when I have exceeded my giftable data allowance. If I unplug the BT Whole Home disc, then the router is back up and working again. 

Is there any way around this, or do I have to switch wireless range extenders to solve poor wifi strength around my home? 

4 REPLIES 4
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@cdudley1   The giftable limit shouldn’t effect your usage.  It’s not a separate allowance from your unlimited allowance.   If you have access to a different range extender give that a go and see what happens. 

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

The giftable data can only be given to another device on your MyEE a/c. The mesh system is not a device on your a/c. It doesn't even have a SIM so it couldn't be. Therefore there discons can't have anything to do with data gifting.

It is more likely to do with the no more than 11 devices FUP. When you connect the Mesh you are adding to the devices served by the SIM. However EE don't just suddenly shut the SIM down when you exceed the FUP. They will start discussing it with you once they find it happening too often.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thank for the responses.

I suspect that is is therefore an issue with the BT Whole Home discs, as when I unplug these from the router, I get the 4G service back again. I made sure that nothing was connected to the discs and still had the problem, so I don't think that it is caused by too many connected devices.

I appreciate the replies and will update if I find an issue with the BT mesh discs.

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance. Will be interested in your findings.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)