cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Terrible upload speeds on EE fibre broadbad

bobthebullet990
Contributor
Contributor

I'm suffering terrible upload speeds on my home fibre broadband connection. The cabinet that serves my house is about 1km away; we should have fibre from the exchange to the cabinet and then copper wire from cabinet up the road to our house. Due to the 1km of old copper cable (partly burried, partly overhead), I'm not expecting to get anywhere near the "super fast" speeds marketed.

My download speed is perfectly adequate for my needs, considering the location of our house (which hovers reliably within the range 9-13Mbps). However, my upload speed is diabolical, severly hampering my efforts of working from home. I can't share my video on confrence calls, and I can't upload files bigger than a few megabytes because it takes too long and whilst uploading anything, the broadband grinds to a halt for anything/anyone else in the house. My data throughput rates for upload speed used to hover around 2Mbps (perfectly adequate for my needs), but recently have dropped right down to 0.5Mbps (at best).

A quick speed test taken just a moment ago using Google speed test:

Google speed test reportGoogle speed test report

Taken from my EE Smart hub router, the technical log reports:

Product nameEE Smart Hub
Serial number1936022899
Firmware versionv0.06.01.08190-EE (Wed Aug 19 18:20:33 2020)
Board version1
Data sent / received3.0 GB / 3.7 GB
DSL uptime13 days 21 Hours 17 Mins 28 Secs
Data rate0.63 Mbps/14.63 Mbps
Maximum Data rate0.6 Mbps/16.1 Mbps
Noise margin (up/down)6.5/8.1
Line attenuation (up/down)45.4/31.0
Signal attenuation (up/down)6.3/24.8
Broadband username#####
2.4 GHz wireless network name#####
2.4 GHz wireless channelChannel: 1
5 GHz wireless network name#####
5 GHz wireless channelChannel: 48
Wireless SecurityWPA
Wireless modeMode 1
FirewallDefault
MAC addressF0:86:20:66:38:77
Software variant-
Boot loader 0.0.3-EE (Mon Dec  4 17:32:53 2017)

4 REPLIES 4
pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

Any noise on your line? 17070 option 2, best with corded phone.

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Untitled.png

The premise/line is associated with exchange which is NOT part of current fibre priority programme.

The premise/line is associated with exchange where WLR is not withdrawn.

The premise/line is associated with exchange where SOADSL service is restricted.

FTTP is not available.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 30 Nov 2012. The Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30 Jun 2014.

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

Thank you for your interest

Yes, the upstream is rather slow.

Locate the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (QLT), dial 17070 Opt 2, preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report it to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Reboot the router & plug it into the test socket. Post the full router stats & System Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Is the issue any better?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)