cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Slow speeds on 2.4ghz

BrianDuncan
Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

I've got Fibre installed at the start of the year and I'm getting 300mb down and about 50mb up when I'm connected to the 5ghz band. Which is fantastic. 

So what's your problem? You may ask...

I've installed a few smart devices round the home (copy of bulbs/ sockets) and enabled the 2.4ghz band so they'd connect as well (which they do) my problem is that my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra phone is now defaulting to the 2.4 band instead of the 5 and I'm 'only' getting about 20mb download speeds...

I'm using the supplied EE Smart Router.

Is there a way to split the bands into 2 SSID's? I tried renaming the one marked 2.4 in the router settings but there wasn't an option to rename the 5 and they both just become the new name together. Can you split them on this router?

If not does anyone know a way to force an Android phone to connect to the 5ghz band?

I know 2.4ghz is slower and I'd be okay with a little drop in download speed but going from 300 to 20 is just terrible!

Any help greatly appreciated!

6 REPLIES 6
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

No, unlike the EE Smart Hub you cannot separate the wireless bands/SSIDs on the EE Smart Router,.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @BrianDuncan ,

This may not apply to your particular router on the current firmware version but one strategy would be to disable older protocols if you have the option to do this.

Another option may be to add a WiFi access point with more functionality (e.g. split SSID and protocol control). Good luck!

Frequency Theoretical Speed Real-World Speed

2.4 GHz (802.11b)
11 Mbps2-3 Mbps
2.4 GHz (802.11g)
54 Mbps10 -29 Mbps
2.4 GHz (802.11n)
300 Mbps150 Mbps
5 GHz (802.11a)
6-54 Mbps3 - 32 Mbps
5 GHz (802.11ac)
433 Mbps - 1.7 Gbps
210 Mbps - 1 G
5 GHz (802.11n)
900 Mbps450Mbps

https://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/wireless/which-frequency-should-you-use.html

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

Thanks @XRaySpeX  that's a dumb move by EE to disable a really handy feature.

I don't know why but my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra really doesn't like the 2.4ghz band on this router. 300+mb on the 5ghz but only 20mb on 2.4...

Thanks for the reply @mikeliuk 

I'm using some basic smart devices that use the 2.4 so need to leave that on. Do you reckon my only real option is to buy a different router that allows splitting the bands then?

Probably. Any G.Fast/VDSL/ADSL modem router will replace it.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi @BrianDuncan ,

I think the best play is to consider your requirements and whether you should purchase anything at all. If you already get 20 Mbps (2.5 MB/s), this should satisfy the requirements of most users and should be suitable even for 4K streaming of Netflix and Disney+ (they specify a requirement of 25 Mbps but I see actual usage as quite a bit lower).

If you require high download speed on your mobile, the cheapest and simplest play is probably a Devolo powerline adapter with WiFi access point functionality (roughly GBP 40 for an older model, you want the larger 550 WiFi plus if you want compatibility with the Devolo app) so that your main router can be 5.0 GHz only and the WiFi AP can be split or 2.4 GHz only. (Possibly any WiFi AP will be fine it's just that a powerline one will have minimal footprint and just needs a short cable to router, the powerline functionality would be unused with a single device but I find sending data over electrical cables to work very well if you choose to do this in the future and place the AP in a second location.)

A capable router can be quite expensive and you will lose considerable time in configuring it to achieve something that is more easily done by adding a WiFi access point to meet your requirement as the current WiFi access point/router does not meet your requirement as you imagine it to be.

Realistically, most people should just make do with 20 Mbps on their phone. Good luck!

If your current router has different WiFi "modes" (e.g. Mode 1, Mode 2) these most likely refer to the combinations of protocols supported and by trying each one, you might find a happy medium where the small devices can still connect but the mobile is forced to connect on a newer protocol that might be a little bit faster per the table above.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net