cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Static IP Allocation

Tgray59
Explorer

Is it possible to allocate fixed/static IP addresses within the 4G home broadband router? Reason being, using home automations and allocation of new IP address after a reboot is a royal pain.

Willing to consider extra kit if that's the only way around it.

Cheers

4 REPLIES 4
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Maybe if you can find a DHCP section but more likely you need to get a diff router.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @Tgray59 ,

If you have in mind static addresses in the LAN, one standard approach use to set static IP addresses on the client devices themselves, within the private subnet but ideally outside of the DHCP range.

I would be surprised that the DHCP leases do not survive over router reboots. If you find a port forwarding functionality, there's highly likely to be static IP assignment in the LAN, matching MACs to private IPs.

It's unlikely you are referring to the WAN as the WAN IP will be assigned by the service provider and might be most likely to change if you connect to a different cell tower.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

Hi.

You're right it's not the WAN I'm referring to, that's of no great consequence to me, it's the internal network addresses, 192.168.8.xxx.

I came from a Virgin Fibre setup with a discrete router setup, easy as pie to let a unit join the network first time round and then tell it to stay put on the address allocated. Reboot, power cut, whatever everything came back as it was.

Now on a 4GEE setup (move house , no internet), and while it's every good for service, reasonable for speed - far better than I expected - the router/modem is a bit basic in features. 

Power tripped out yesterday, 46 items logged in 44 came back with same IP 2 changed, 1 being a hub unit ... right royal pain in the proverbial as other things needed it's address to talk to it.

There just doesn't seem to be a way of saying .. Mac Address use this IP address and stay there....

Have a mix of things where some allow static some don't so can't use that option on the actual devices either.

If only I could do the same as virgin and switch it to modem mode and user a discrete router ....

Hi @Tgray59 ,

I think that possessing 46 DHCP clients justifies owning a more capable router.

If your upstream router allows a wired RJ45 LAN connection, you could daisy chain (double-NAT) an old router with ability to set static leases.

The cleanest option is to replace the upstream router with a more fully-featured router and Draytek ones are good. Anything better or equal to a Netgear MR1100 (mine bought for under £200) would be fine.

If you like tinkering, I would recommend a OPNsense hardware firewall (self-integrated).

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net