cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Any ideas why this config stops working?

GenericUser
Investigator
Investigator

Hello!

I got my EE broadband installed yesterday but I’m having some issues with my setup. As the Smart Hub doesn’t have a pass through modem mode, I’ve configured the following. 

I’m using an Orbi RBR50 mesh network with the EE Smart Hub on G.fast. 

- Wireless off on Smart Hub

- DHCP off on Smart Hub

- Orbi set to have a static IP on Smart Hub

- Orbi in the DMZ on Smart Hub

- UPnP disabled on both Smart Hub and Orbi

Now this seems to work fine until I disable UPnP on the Smart Hub. When I do that either immediately or after some time my Orbi fails to get assigned its IP from the Smart Hub. 

For the life of me I can’t work out why. I really don’t like having UPnP enabled on anything but I’m not sure why it is seemingly needed for this set up to work. However it’s mainly an observation at the moment that it corresponds to it, it may not be the case. 

Any help or suggestions would be amazing. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for replying! That’s a…very good point with the DHCP! I’ve now set my Orbi to use a specific IP rather than get one assigned (because it won’t be!). Bit of a brain fart moment there. 

I’ll see if that solves it. Maybe disabling UPnP caused some kind of silent reboot causing the EE Router to then not assign the IP. 

As for DHCP and the DMZ, I’m trying to sidestep the annoying double NAT issues as much as possible because of the lack of pass through. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

If it's on G.Fast it's not a Smart Hub but a Smart Router.

How is the Orbi connected to the router?

I don't think you should be using DMZ.

How can the Orbi have a fixed IP on the router when the DHCP has been disabled? The DHCP needs enabling.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks for replying! That’s a…very good point with the DHCP! I’ve now set my Orbi to use a specific IP rather than get one assigned (because it won’t be!). Bit of a brain fart moment there. 

I’ll see if that solves it. Maybe disabling UPnP caused some kind of silent reboot causing the EE Router to then not assign the IP. 

As for DHCP and the DMZ, I’m trying to sidestep the annoying double NAT issues as much as possible because of the lack of pass through. 

Thought I’d come back for an update. I know how annoying it is when you see half finished threads. 

Assigning the Orbi a static IP on itself has worked. Obviously I still have a double NAT but I think this is the closest you can get without the EE router having a bridge mode. 

I’m really baffled why it lacks this. I’ve changed a load of settings that I wouldn’t really want to to try and get close. Feels like an odd choice, but there we go.