cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

S6 tab keyboard- how to keep the keyboard case in place.

JayeBee
Visitor

Hi all. Newbie alert!

I thought I'd make my 1st post a useful one so here goes..

After trying the usual, invariably short term fixes for this known issue, I finally found a lasting one last summer. So how did I wait to post this? Simple, I wanted to make certain that this is a lasting & reliable fix.

Forget the 3M car badge tape, that's fine for a week at most and then only if you hold down the fixed part of the cover when opening the stand, other bodges are less successful but then along came Hollister Medical adhesive..

I was prescribed some of this a few years ago to support a temporary stoma, now all gone. I had half a can left over as the surgeon had been able to repair the site and make my innards work as per o/e "factory" spec, so figuring that I had nothing to lose by giving it a shot, out came the can.

Bearing in mind that the original adhesive is silicon based, I figured that this approach wouldn't damage the lovely pink anodised case of my beloved tablet, or the original foam that comes with the case. 

Success! Now, nigh on a year later, the back cover / easel stand is still firmly attached to the S6's rear, it is now possible to close the stand by pulling on its lower end - an act that would've caused the original adhesive to give up - and even picking the tablet up by the hinged stand and giving [the tablet] a shake has not loosened the bond.

For those who haven't been provided with the aforementioned adhesive by a surgeon, it costs around £30 for a can, and I made sure that the bond can be broken either by using the Hollister solvent, or by using a spot of IPA on a Q-tip (other brands of cotton bud are available..)

OK, so in an ideal world, Samsung would have found an "official" fix by now, but maybe this isn't happening with the newer S7, in which case most, if not all of the affected devices will now be out of production but, because I don't need or want an upgrade for a perfectly functional device, I was quite happy to sort it myself and have done so.

Hoping that the above dissertation 😳 will be of use to other Samsung S6 tab owners.

I'm not sure whether the issue is relevant to the S6 Lite as I don't know whether a keyboard connection is fitted to those, but for the original S6, this - for me at least - is worth the money as a new keyboard case cost - when I last saw one on Amazon - over £100!

'Bye just now, stay safe folks.

Jaye xx

1 REPLY 1
Christopher_B
EE Employee

Hi @JayeBee

Welcome to the community 😊

Things like this can really help people out so thanks for taking the time to write this. 

Thanks

Chris