cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Does any one know how the EE Smart hub resets.

MrAngree
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Does anyone know how the EE (not so ) Smart routers reset.??

My Download speed was gradually slowing so started investigating.

Speed gradually dropped from 37mbps to about 22-24Mbps.

Stats showed noise on the line. Noise margin (up/down): 6.3 dB / 12.1 dB.

Started investigating and disconnected 2 really old telephone points off the circuit.

Restarted router.

Stats show Noise margin (up/down): 6.3 dB / 5.9 dB. The noise has gone.

Now .Speed 18 Mbps

14:18:29, 24 May. DSL Link Up: Down Rate=19350kbps, Up Rate=4980kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.3dB, Up=6.0dB

Previously when speed was 37Mbps.

16:48:53, 27 Mar. DSL Link Up: Down Rate=39998kbps, Up Rate=6659kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.2dB, Up=6.0dB

Router needs to reset.

Obviously tried all the usual resets.

Turned power off let router reboot.

Soft reset inside router hub.

Hard reset (with pin).

Stopped myself from doing a Big Hammer reset.

Phoned EE Didn't have anything on her Script.

I am sure the telecom's engineers must have a way of resetting a router once a fault has been cleared.

I was hoping it would reset itself . I have previously seen the router Cycle in the night time.

Also  router connected directly into front of incoming telephone point.

computer connected by Ethernet cable.

Also no stats.....hard reset the router..............

9 REPLIES 9
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

It's probably not the router that needs resetting but the DLM which probably reacted adversely to that previous noise on your line.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats:

• For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.
  • For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information. Obscure your names & any numbers in the BB Username & also the SSIDs.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
MrAngree
Established Contributor
Established Contributor
Product name,EE Smart Hub
Serial number,+EEH001+2021001572
Firmware version,v0.06.01.08190-EE (Wed Aug 19 18:20:33 2020)
Board version,01
Data sent / received,320.6 MB / 467.7 MB
DSL uptime,1 days 4 Hours 20 Mins 47 Secs
Data rate,4.98 Mbps/19.47 Mbps
Maximum Data rate,4.9 Mbps/19.7 Mbps
Noise margin (up/down),6.1/5.9
Line attenuation (up/down),27.5/24.3
Signal attenuation (up/down),27.6/19.0
Broadband username,PRODUCTIONHQNUN517044104@fs
2.4 GHz wireless network name,EE-Hub-QW7n
2.4 GHz wireless channel,Smart (Channel 11)
5 GHz wireless network name,EE-Hub-QW7n
5 GHz wireless channel,Smart (Channel 48)
Wireless Security,WPA
Wireless mode,Mode 1
Firewall,Default
MAC address,18:82:8C:30:14:26
Software variant,-
Boot loader, 0.0.3-EE (Mon Dec  4 17:32:53 2017)

btStats.jpg 

MrAngree
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

It did seem that every time i tried to re-set the router the speeds came back even slower.

Cheers.

MrAngree
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Just read that DLM automatically resets  after 48 hours  , if the line has no problems

" DLM will automatically try a faster profile after 48 hours of error free stability. "

mine has only been up

1 day  4hours and 46 minutes............so i just think i will Wait.

Yes, your line is running well below par.

Locate the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (QLT), dial 17070 Opt 2, preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report it to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Reboot the router & plug it into the test socket. Post the full router stats & System Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Is the issue any better?

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
MrAngree
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Did all that process as a part of my initial fault finding.

I left the router plugged into the hidden Test port for 12

hours. (Bt info wrong i do have a NTE face plate).

that's where i got the 12.1 dB.  (now 6.0 dB)

Definitely NOT going to .Turn the router off.

I am betting the DLM  will reset after 48 hours.

So i think everything's fixed just a waiting game. now.

I have had two engineer visits to repair faults (on their equipment).

December 20  have not got a clue what this bloke fixed .He didn't seem to know.??? none repair lasted a week.

March 21 A much more clued up engineer. replaced the drop cable from the top of the house to the main BT point. that repair lasted about 2 weeks. That's when i thought i would take a look myself...and cleared the noise off the line.

This type of broadband is a bag of pants. Signed up September its never worked properly. Even when it runs 37 Mbps that's nothing compared to my 5g that runs at 1442-Mbps.Down 109 Mbps up. No not a misprint.

It could be up to 10 days.

The DLM system has put you on a banded profile in response to past errors on your line, at the top of the up to 20 Meg band of these VDSL Banded Profiles. You need to give the DLM time to relent & remove any banding. If your sync speed at the test socket remains stuck at the same speed for 10 days you should ask EE to investigate the underlying fault. If a fault is found and fixed then the OR engineer may request a DLM reset. However should significant errors persist the DLM will reapply banding.

MrAngree
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

It could be up to 10 days.

Well that's OK i got a spare 10 days

even at this slow speed it still works fine.

Will check the noise on the line hasn't come back.(regularly)

and just play a waiting game.

Im  assuming it will test the line after 48 hours then if things are good move up a band.

So after 48 hours probably  22399kbps

another 48 hours ------------   24998kbps

another 48 hours-------------   27400kbps,

all the way up to my max

DLM constantly monitoring line.