cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Porting my number to my new phone and plan to the same network

DeafGirl
Investigator
Investigator
I was due for an upgrade on my existing EE plan but wasn't impressed by any of the deals being offered with EE. I found a good deal with a new phone and payment plan through a third company, but as I have been with EE for many years and am still happy with them, I decided to continue with the same network. I had intended to transfer my existing mobile number to the new plan upon receiving the new phone, so to be prepared, I asked for my PAC number on my existing number from EE, which I received with no problems. And that was where the trouble started.

We got a call from EE within an hour, asking why I was leaving. I told the rep I wasn’t leaving, but had got a very good deal from a third party, and that once I receive the new phone, I would be transferring my existing number over.  The rep offered me a deal but it wasn't as good as the one I would be getting.

After the call, mysteriously, I found that an extra 1GB had been added to my EE plan and it was being billed as a new plan. When we rang EE again to query why, as I had at no time asked for a new plan, the rep we spoke to dodged the question and insisted I would not be able to transfer my existing EE number. If I was going to a new network, it would be no problem, but not if it was with the same network.

I would be very grateful if you could tell me if this is correct? If I can’t retain my existing number, then I will have to go with the new number, with all the headaches of notifying everyone on my contact lists of the new number. I was told by the second rep that if I change the network to a different network with the same deal, I can retain my existing number. I would be loath to do this as I live on a Scottish island and I find the EE network to be really good here, but if that what it would take for me to retain my number then, after 15 years with Orange/EE, I will to part with that network......

Can anybody tell me WHY I can't just simply port my existing number since I will still be with the same network?! It doesn't make sense......
4 REPLIES 4
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Hi @DeafGirl 

@DeafGirl wrote:

Can anybody tell me WHY I can't just simply port my existing number since I will still be with the same network?! It doesn't make sense......

Just on this point, a number port is, by definition, the ability to move your number between networks.

Changing your phone but keeping your same number is classed as an upgrade, and there is a process for that. It's called buying your phone as an upgrade. Buying a new phone on a new connection with a new number is not buying an upgrade.

You're quite within your rights to chase the best deal available, but the price of that is you may well be getting a new number, unless you're prepared to go through a bit of hassle. That's a choice you need to make, based on your circumstances.

Out of interest, which island are you on? It's true that EE have invested a lot in their network in the more remote corners of Scotland in recent years 😉

@DeafGirl . You can get a PAC code and port the number to a pay as you go to another network and then get a PAC code from the pay as you go network and port it back to your new contract. Hope this helps, rather longwinded but many do it, that way you get to keep your number and do not have to let anyone know your new number. 

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.

Many thanks for your suggestion, Schockwave!! I'll try that!

@DeafGirl , you are welcome, glad to help.

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.