cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

PAYG signal v Contract signal

Nikki8279
Investigator
Investigator

I have an S20+ 5g with 2 ee sim cards in. One is a Contract SIM and the other a PAYG. Why hasnt the PAYG sim got as many bars on the signal as the Contract one? Often 3 bars on the 

Contract and 1 bar on the PAYG?

3 REPLIES 3
bristolian
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

Hi @Nikki8279 

There's 2 possible scenarios where this can occur.

1: The SIMs simply have a connection to different network sites, and one is providing better perceived signal than the other. If you can still make & receive calls, then this should not be a concern.

2: PAYG SIMs do not have the 4G calling facility, and this enables access to EE's "extended range" 800Mhz coverage.

If you are in an area where 800Mhz coverage is available, this will improve coverage for those users able to access it. If the standard coverage is of a "fringe" quality, then phones able to connect to the 800Mhz layer will do so, and this will be reflected in the better displayed signal.

My understanding is that "4G calling" is now enabled on PAYG SIMs, but I'm still having the same problem. One or no bars on PAYG, two or three bars on contract.

IMS access - which enables WiFi-calling & 4G-calling - is in the process of being rolled out to PAYG users, but is not yet complete.