cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Netgear orbi will not connect to the Internet

gazwoz
Investigator
Investigator

So Here is the story. I currently own a Nighthawk X6 running though a BT openreach ECI B-Focus V2 Modem. MY ISP is EE

This has been working very well apart from having to use extenders in certain areas, so I wanted to eliminate this and purchased the Orbi

So I downloaded the App and proceeded to start the installation. Everything was going well until I got to the stage where the network was detected (which is was).

The app then told me it was checking cables and couldn't connect and asked me to go to advanced start up, where I needed to tell the app that I was connecting via PPP0E

I put the EE ISP user name and password into the app and it then went back to checking cables after it told me it was changing connection and going to produce some magic. It didn't.

What happened next was that a page telling me to go to setting and log in to the orbi wifi appeared. Sure enough in the connections on my phone there was the Orbi Wifi icon and when I touched it it changed to sign in required and then up came this service message from BT Wholesale 

SERVICE INFORMATION

You have been connected to this page due to one of the following reasons. You must now shut down your internet browser and internet applications before attempting to reconnect. This may clear the issue immediately, if not then please select the appropriate action from list below.

1. Your service provider is currently unable to accept your connection request, please wait and reattempt later or contact your service provider for more information.
    Or
  2. You have attempted to access an invalid Service Provider domain, check your user details.
    Or
  3. You are testing your connection using bt_test_user@startup_domain. Please proceed to next step as advised by your Service Provider
    Or
  4. You are testing your connection to your service provider using bt_test_user@domain. where "domain" is your Service Provider domain name. Please proceed to next step as advised by your Service Provider.
    Or
  5. The access circuit to your Service Provider is currently down. Your service should be resumed soon. Please try again later or contact your Service Provider

Page maintained by BTWholesale

Numerous reboots, leaving everything off for 5 minutes or more and I was getting exactly the same.

So I then on the advice of a Netgear Community member I hard wired MY PC to the router and connected via orbilogin.net.

During the process the service message came up again, but I managed finally to get to the dashboard, where I attempted to set up the internet, again inputting the EE ISP user name and password.

After updating the settings the dashboard appeared again and in the Internet Box was the message 'Waiting' which soon turned red and stated Not connected.

So then began my five hours on the Netgear chat support getting disconnected twice and finally talk to Support on the phone, where once again we went through numerous reboots of every part of the system, looked at the firmware which was fine, checked the Vlan Bridge box and updated again all to no avail. 

At the end of the conversation It was suggested that i contact EE and ask them to supply a different user name and password which I did, and was told by EE that they only had one for me which was the one I had already got. (I suspected this might be the case)

So here I am one very frustrated individual with a very expensive plastic box that for some reason does not want to communicate with my modem. 

Putting my Nighthawk back on to the modem and everything is fine again

Anyone else experience anything like this with the Orbi/BT Modem/EE

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It will 🙂 ! All EE BB Usernames must end in '@FS'. That's why you can't use other ISP's routers on it.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

Is there no option of selecting the VLAN ID which should be VLAN 101?

Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

The modem handles the .VLAN id.

Just been looking at the manual, other than username and password there is not a lot else to choose from - I think the others default to get from ISP.

The BTW suggests it is the wrong username/password.

You have not tried to use the IP V6 settings?

I don't know but I will check it later when I try once again to get it connected. I don't know what that does though, Can you enlighten me?

I wouldn't know where to begin with IPV6 Settings. I did see that and V4 when I looked at a manual option to connect though.

Excuse my ignorance what is BTW?

pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

In simple terms the VLAN ID is used to route your connection to the right SVLAN at the exchange. If the VLAN ID is not entered the connection will fail.

You can read more HERE.

My bad, the VLAN setting is handled by the modem. Thanks for the correction @Mustrum 

Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

BTW is BT Wholesale, where you are getting the error massage from.

Oh I see, thanks

yes i would agree that the user name and password might seem to be wrong, but they are the ones that EE gave me and I double checked the spelling and number of digits etc. 

The user name and password is the same one that works fine when I am connected via the Nighthawk Router. It just doesn't seem to like the Orbi for some reason

The issue must be the BB Username & pwd. That's when BTw intervenes with the msg you showed when the ISP is failing to authenticate you.

What is the format of your BB Username & pwd, obscuring any of your names or if it doesn't contain your names then obscure the digits?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Ok Thanks for your input

The user name is PRODUCTIONHQNUN (FOLLOWED BY 9 NUMBERS)

The password is HQNPASS (FOLLOWED BY THE SAME NINE NUMBERS)

The capital letters are correct as told to me by EE when i called them