cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Need more data for 4g router not sure best option?

Furbabymam2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone I'm new to the community and wondered if I could ask for some advice?

Please bear with me as I am not very technically minded and due to health conditions have poor concentration which is making it hard for me to decide regarding my data usage/plan.

So.. I have a 4gee wifi router after a bad experience with home BB (Not EE) and when I found out about these routers I got one and have been quite happy with it for a couple of yrs. It is Huawei b525 router and I bought an EE mobile payg data trio? sim card which has been fine. I haven't been using much data really as I just do email and internet browsing up until March when I bought netflix for my mum as a mother's day gift & also to take her mind off the pandemic! Since then I've been topping up and buying data without really thinking too much and due to my health I've not kept up with how much its cost. Sorry will try and get to the point..I rang EE recently as I was having problems buying a data addon and the gentleman advised that I had been spending a lot more and that getting a pay mthly plan would save money with the current usage. That was only a couple of wks ago and I'm down to 2Gb after buying 10Gb for £22 which used to last me 6-8wks now runs out in 2wks or so despite the 3Gb loyalty free.

I'm very reluctant to commit to a 24mth contract so wanted to try a 30day but not sure what as I've looked at flex plan but not sure if its just for mobile phones? Then looked at the 30day where the data rolls over but not sure what to do. Sorry for my very apparent brainfog and the long post. Any advice very gratefully received.

Thanks in advance for any help..

Take care

12 REPLIES 12
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Furbabymam2 wrote:

the gentleman advised that I had been spending a lot more and that getting a pay mthly plan would save money with the current usage.

Did you take him up on his offer of a Pay Monthly contract? If so, which one, how much per month & was it a 30-day contract (not the 30-day PAYG where data rolls over) or 12 months or longer? 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi

Thanks very much for your reply. Unfortunately during the call my mum needed some help as she is diabetic and had low blood sugar so as I'd been waiting for my call to be transferred he offered to get the other team to ring me back to buy the data. When he did mum still wasn't recovered fully and bit wobbly so I couldn't concentrate properly on the offers, he mentioned various amounts of data for around  £20- £30 but would be a 24mth contract. I really don't want to commit to a long contract as I lost my job a couple of years ago as a nurse due to my illhealth so money is really tight. I actually cannot believe I've neglected looking at how many top ups I've done since pandemic and using netflix but also recently had Amazon Prime for a month and watching a little bit on that but as it was hd used a lot of data. I am really confused about how much data and think I definitely need a 30day plan but I'm getting muddled with the plans which have mins and texts as I use my mobile and only need the data one but looks like may need quite a bit of data. My mum has lost a lot of her eyesight so I want her to enjoy watching her tv for as long as is possible so I have put her films on hd and don't want to be restricted by a lack of data...think I only have 2.3Gb left now..

Thanks again for your reply

Furbabyman.. I have a 4GEE router too.  If it gives you an idea I have been monitoring mine and web browsing, shopping, emails etc will only use around 1-2 GB per day.  However if you start with Netflix, online video, Catch up TV etc this can easily use 6-12GB a day in my experience.  I'm on an 18 month contract (£35pcm for 100GB or £40 for 200GB).  If you don't want to commit to that the other chaps on here know more about the alternative options for you.  Buying add-ons is a very costly way of topping up as you have found out.
Sorry to hear of your family problems, hope you can find a reasonable solution.

So the crux of is are you still on PAYG? A brief Yes or No answer will suffice.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi

Yes currently still on payg, sorry should have been more clear in my original post.

Hi Wardi

Thank you for your reply and for explaining how much data can be used per day, that has given me more clarity.  I used to find 10Gb was enough and could stretch it quite a few wks as I was only using it for email, light browsing, online groceries & prescriptions etc but as you say its since getting netflix and using prime video I've needed to do extra top ups. Thank you for your kind words, I've been focused on self managing my health flareups during the lockdown and looking after mum so have just topped up and bought data online without stopping to think of the frequency and cost. I think I would need to try a 30day plan.

Thanks again

Take care

Hi everyone.

Just wondered if anyone can help as still not got onto a plan yet. I'm down to 2Gb data left on payg so need to choose asap.  Would I be able to move from payg to a flex plan with triple data or are those sims just for mobile phones?

Any help very much appreciated.

Many thanks

That's probably an exclusive online offer, altho; you can probably switch your no.later.

Please remind me in as few words as possible just what it is you are aiming at? I'd like to help but I'm having difficulty seeing the wood for the trees.

Hi XraySpex

Well to summarise..

My difficulty is that I need to find the cheapest plan to buy more data for my wifi router.

I am on payg & have been buying 10Gb for £22 with 3Gb free so 13Gb which used to last me 6wks or so.

Now using more data so suggested by EE that I move to pay monthly plan so need to work out cheapest option.

The sim in my router is 4gee data trio sim which I thought was data only.

I am confused by the various options and don't want to commit to 18-24mth plans. I wondered if the flex plan with triple data are also suitable for use in a router or just for mobile phones?

Any help very much appreciated