cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Keeping my number

Ale42
Investigator
Investigator

Hi. I have changed my contact (both old and new are EE), it’s sim only (not upgrade). The new sim has arrived with the new number. I want to keep my old number. Is there an easy way to do that? I haven’t done anything with the new sim yet. Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
BrendonH
Community Hero
Community Hero

why didnt you do an upgrade to the sim only?

Now you'll have to port the number out to another network to then port back into your new EE sim only contract.

You can't just move the number from an EE sim to another EE sim.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below

What is the difference between changing a contract to sim only and upgrading to sim only? And what other network are you talking about, it was EE and still is with the new sim? Sorry if the questions seem stupid 😕

Upgrading means your number would have went with you with no questions asked.

Seeing as you took out a new contract you will need to cancel the old contract and ask for a PAC code.

Get a sim from another network like Vodafone O2 etc and use the PAC code there.

Once the port has complete you ask for a PAC code from that network to bring your number back.

You then port it it into your new sim only contract.

There is no way to move an EE number to another EE sim unless you did an upgrade which you didn't

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below

@Ale42 wrote:

What is the difference between changing a contract to sim only and upgrading to sim only? And what other network are you talking about, it was EE and still is with the new sim? Sorry if the questions seem stupid 😕

There's an issue of terminology here.

Changing your phone while keeping your existing line is called an "upgrade" and you need to purchase your phone as an upgrade - you will then retain your existing number as a matter of course.

Changing your plan from one to another is a change of payment plan. You can do this either by calling EE C/S, or by (confusingly) following the "upgrade now" links when logged into your myEE

What you've done, is purchase a new connection with a new number. As @BrendonH has explained, you have 2 options from here..

1: Cancel your "new connection" under the 14day "change of mind" rule (assuming you bought it via telesales or online), and then make whatever change you want, to your existing line.

2: Keep your "new connection", but follow the protracted "back-door" route to port your existing line out to another provider, and then back into EE.

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

You haven't changed your contract at all. You've simply ordered an additional line. So now you have 2 with diff nos.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

If only all of this was clearer on the website. I simply followed the link they sent me saying my contract is finishing and what options I have. I phoned them and all sorted now. Turns out phoning them was the easiest thing to do. Thanks everyone for replying and trying to help.