cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Keeping PAYG Sim Active whilst in USA (but I'm in UK)

adrianpaulwood
Explorer

Hi,

I purchased a PAYG sim, added a £10 pack (5Gb, 500 mins, unlimited texts) and I have stopped the pack renewing.

The sim is currently with a family member in USA, but I'm in the UK. I'd like to keep it active so they can use it when they are next in the UK.

The sim currently has no credit though the pack is still active for a few weeks.

What's the easiest / cheapest way to keep it active?

I'm guessing I could (1) add a small credit (how much?) after 180 days and then (2) get the family member to send a text every 180 days after that? But will the credit expire and is there a cheaper way to do it?

Also I guess I have to enable international roaming to do this - but how can I do that - I can't find the option when I login to My EE.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, that's the way to do it. Put a small credit on it now, £5 is the lowest, then send a short text costing 60p before every 179 days.

Credit doesn't expire. You just draw down on it by spending on calls & texts.

PAYG is auto enabled for roaming.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, that's the way to do it. Put a small credit on it now, £5 is the lowest, then send a short text costing 60p before every 179 days.

Credit doesn't expire. You just draw down on it by spending on calls & texts.

PAYG is auto enabled for roaming.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks!

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance & it is now sorted.

Poprocks_CA
Contributor
Contributor

I'm in a similar situation and - if you use an iPHONE - texts are tricky. With a small credit on my account I just call my home number if the sim is due to expire. Answer the call and then hang up. Costs 1.20 I think and the call guarantees you a charged event.

iPHONES texting other IPHONES don't count as text messages. If you're on your home WIFI they are sent free of charge like a WHATSAPP message. If you disconnect your phone from the WIFI the message will attempt to send using cellular data - and go nowhere - EE makes you buy a tiny data top up first to access cellular data when you're overseas  Easiest to spend the 1.20 for a single minute of air time and rest assure your sim will stay warm for your next trip.

If you use Android you probably can just send a text and be guaranteed to get charged for it. You posted in August so your 180 days must be coming up soon. Good luck!

@Poprocks_CA wrote:

iPHONES texting other IPHONES don't count as text messages.

Then send a text to a known Android or to a landline (your home no? - you don't even need to be at home to answer it) . At least it'll cost you 1/2 as much.

You make a valid point there, XraySpex and I approve of your thriftiness.

I don't have a landline. That's so very 1990s. :P.  I'll have to make some Android friends or just text random people to save that last 60 cents 🙂

I usually opt for the path of least resistance and that for me -in this case- is a quick call. 

Hope your new year is off to a bang up start.