cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Credit class downgraded for no reason?

JLGSYCI
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I contacted EE CS to ask whether there had been any change to my credit class as I've now paid my 3rd bill after switching from Flex to PAYM. To my complete surprise I was told it had been downgraded from "Below Average" to "Poor". I said that can't be right as I've paid my bills in full and on time every single month without fail, whilst also spending far more with EE through Charge to Bill items which again we're all collected via DD successfully.

The first CS Rep I dealt with tried telling me it could be due to a duplicate payment I made in October. However, I explained I paid £75 on 1st October via Debit Card to cover some Charge to Bill items, and that EE then collected the remaining £45.13 on 25th October via DD. For information my DDs are due on the 24th of every month, which during October was a Sunday, hence why it was taken the following day (25th October). My first bill for £18.97 was successfully collected on 27th September, and the latest DD for £96.85 was collected on 24th November.

I also said to the CS Rep that EE recently upped my internal credit limit from £100 to £260, which presumably wouldn't have happened unless EE were satisfied with my good payment history and account standing. The CS Rep could literally not get a straight word out of his mouth and simply said "Uuhm.. Well.. I'm sorry I don't know what else to say..". At that point I terminated the call as the CS Rep clearly didn't have a clue what he was talking about, whilst also being unable to handle my query effeciently and professionally.

I then redialed, waiting another 40 mins, and eventually put through to another CS Rep who was super helpful. He fully listened to my issue and understood my frustration. He had a look through my account and couldn't make sense of it either as payment history has been excellent. He therefore advised me to email Credit Referrals to dispute my credit file, and I am currently awaiting a reply from them.

Currently, on the My EE app it says I can upgrade to a handset contract 15th March 2022. I explained I am scared whether this may now be in jeopardy, to which 2nd CS Rep said as far as he could see it shouldn't have any bearing on me being able to upgrade. Can anyone confirm whether this is true?

Credit Referrals have said previously;

"Credit checks are only performed when a customer is obtaining a new account. When a customer is active other factors are taken into consideration such as length of service and payment history with EE"

If anyone has experienced anything similar and can cast any light on this senseless situation it would be very much appreciated.

TIA!

5 REPLIES 5
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Have you checked your credit status with these main credit reference agencies: ExperianEquifaxTransUnion, Call Credit?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
JLGSYCI
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Yes I have, and it's been teetering on the edge of between "Poor" and "Below Average". However this has been the case for a long time (over a year). I haven't got any credit cards, it's all due to past idiocy on my part back in 2017 (No CCJs or the like). I have worked since then to improve it and only have 3 old debts from 2017. This month my score went up by 3 points (wayhay I hear you say?).

Credit status was the same when EE first credit checked me when I took out my PAYM plan.

@JLGSYCI wrote:

I haven't got any credit cards

That's why it is "Poor" & will remain so. You are not availing yourself of any significant credit. Regular on-time repayments of Credit Cards is the easiest way of boosting your credit rating.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
JLGSYCI
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I See. I don't really want to apply for a credit card in case I get declined and it further damaging my score.

In terms of EE, I assume as long as payment keep being made in full and on time, upgrading on the stipulated date shouldn't be an issue?

JLGSYCI
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I had an email from Credit Referrals but can't say it's cast any more light on the situation;

"Thanks for taking the time to get in touch regarding your EE account.

Credit Referrals do not amend credit limits or credit classes on a customer’s account. This is done automatically by the system through behavioural scoring. Therefore, I will be unable to amend the credit class manually.

Regarding your upgrade date, you will need to contact our Customer Services team on 0800 956 6000 to discuss this further.

I trust this email is of assistance, take care.

Kind Regards,"

I still don't understand where I've gone wrong??