cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Will I be billed for 'stacked' data

_MrR_
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

My friend moved to Canada recently and was in the process of sorting out Canadian utilities, one of them being a mobile carrier.

As he'd closed down all his UK accounts before leaving, I stepped in to help him out in the interim period whilst he was waiting for the required social insurance numbers to allow him to take service from Bell. 

I decided to let him use one of my lines in the interim and was really impressed that all that took was a 'sim swap' to eSim and then sent him the QR code. A minute later, that line is now roaming in Canada. 

So that line is a 1GB data line (I use it for incoming work calls here in a dual sim phone so need nothing extra). Once he'd confirmed it was working in Canada, I then added the 'Roam Further' extra and a data add on.

I went for 10GB but this errored. I tried again, it worked. Happy days.

Until I noticed in My EE that the line now had 21GB of data (to me meaning the add on had gone through twice). I did a live chat with EE and was assured this wasn't the case. Only one data add one had worked so I was to ignore it.

We're now a good two or three weeks later. I look again, that line is showing 20.4GB of 21GB remaining (as obviously the Bell sim card arrived a day later so assume he's using that as the primary sim in his dual sim phone).

When I look at the data, I see

10GB left of 10GB with a status of 'STACKED' and on the line below

10.41GB left of 11GB with a status of 'ACTIVE'

So my questions are: 

- Will I be billed for the two adds ons or does the stacked one mean it'll only be billed if he uses it (which let's be fair, he won't - I could have got away leaving it at the standard 1GB)

- On 02/01/2022 when the billing refreshes, will the line go back to 1GB (these add ons aren't reoccurring are they or do I need to do something to cancel them) 

- The 'Roam Further' has a 30 day notice period so I just cancel that whenever and it comes off a month later?

Just aware that I'll be sim swapping back soon so it'll not be roaming anymore.

3 REPLIES 3
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@_MrR_  Depending on the add on you chosen as it could be a reoccurring add on or just a one off add on, it should say what it is.  
You’ll be billed regardless of using any data so if it was 2 add ons you’ll be charged for 2.    

You can cancel the roaming add on now as it lasts 30 days.  

mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @_MrR_ ,

I recommend that you contact EE and advise that an error on their website has caused you to make the wrong decision and that you negotiate to remove both those 10 GB Data Add-Ons.

Whether or not the Data Add-On recurs or stacks depends on your Plan.

With my pay-monthly, SIM-only, the 10 GB Data Add-On does not recur and I have this in my terms and conditions (in the Data Add-On section): "And you can’t buy another [data] add-on while you’re using one." So in theory I can't stack my Data Add-Ons.

The Pay As You Go terms and conditions suggest that you can stack your data add-ons and they could expire in the same month which is really not very good: "If you buy a data Add-On whilst you still have data allowances from a Pack or data Add-On, the new
data Add-On’s Validity Period will start running immediately." Whether or not PAYG data add-ons recur is something you will want to check.

On balance, I would judge it more likely than not that the SIM you are referring to is a PAYG SIM with recurring Pack. Please advise if this is wrong.

It is on the basis of all the nuances above that I would recommend that you take the opportunity to request removal of both 10 GB data add-ons to put you in the best possible situation.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net
_MrR_
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

Thanks for the replies guys, so just to clarify. It's a pay monthly sim rather than a PAYT. 

I did have a live chat with EE and was re-assured that only 1 x 10GB had been added. I'm working on the theory that chat is registered against my account so if I do see that two have been added to the billing, they can refer back to it. 

I could of course say remove both but as I added the 10GB data add-on in good faith, I'm happy to pay for it (even if it did turn out not to be needed), it's just I certainly don't want to pay for two.