cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Internet on the road

Wgratman
Explorer

I'm a newbie on here and not sure how to search so apologies if there's already a thread on this.

I work for myself and all I need is a strong internet connection for video conferencing or accessing remote data sources. Because of the recent pandemic etcetera I am pretty much a remote worker for the foreseeable. My home office is pretty uninteresting so I am looking to buy a motorhome and work on the road.

So if I accept the fact that I  will be travelling based on a coverage map. What are the best options. I don’t want to tether my phone. I want something that is independent to my phone so wife could use it if I went to a meeting or something.

Cost not too important as long as its reasonable.

Any suggestions appreciated 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @Wgratman ,

The above is good advice. In addition to the above link, I wanted to provide the below reference in case you need to compare networks if the Ofcom coverage checker shows one network is better than another for where you will work and require internet access.

To act as a full home internet replacement, I've judged that unlimited data should be the default requirement. I myself take 200 GB/mth with Reserve Data (unlimited throttled to 2 Mbps) because I know my data requirements but many people will not.

The SIM-only comparison below is good for an apples to apples comparison and a 4G LTE router (I use a Netgear MR1100) would be required in addition. One key thing to check is that the mobile router can operate without a battery when permanently plugged in (the MR1100 can), otherwise if sufficient power is available, a home LTE router such as Draytek 2927Lac (or cheaper equivalent) could be used but these might be overkill and less convenient on the road (you can take a mobile router hiking or to the pub).

Alternatively a router can be taken from the service provider at additional cost but this will likely be locked to the network and the service provider's firmware and you may not be able to set your own DNS choices, change the private LAN subnet, or the LAN IP address of the router (you can safely ignore any of these you don't recognize or care about but I wanted to mention for the benefit of others). Good luck!

https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/unlimited-data

I've used 4G LTE mobile broadband for two years with Three and around three months with EE and have found it to be a perfectly adequate home broadband replacement.

Be aware that EE primarily use CGNAT on their consumer mobile network so you will almost certainly not have your own IPv4 dynamic IP routable on the internet. (Most people hit this as they cannot act as a server for gaming and some chat features may not work but it will also impact acting as a server on the internet of any other sort.)

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/en-gb/mobile-coverage

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Look at Mobile Broadband  .

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
My only experience is a few years old. Assuming I'm in a decent coverage
area does it compare with domestic bb in terms of stability
mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @Wgratman ,

The above is good advice. In addition to the above link, I wanted to provide the below reference in case you need to compare networks if the Ofcom coverage checker shows one network is better than another for where you will work and require internet access.

To act as a full home internet replacement, I've judged that unlimited data should be the default requirement. I myself take 200 GB/mth with Reserve Data (unlimited throttled to 2 Mbps) because I know my data requirements but many people will not.

The SIM-only comparison below is good for an apples to apples comparison and a 4G LTE router (I use a Netgear MR1100) would be required in addition. One key thing to check is that the mobile router can operate without a battery when permanently plugged in (the MR1100 can), otherwise if sufficient power is available, a home LTE router such as Draytek 2927Lac (or cheaper equivalent) could be used but these might be overkill and less convenient on the road (you can take a mobile router hiking or to the pub).

Alternatively a router can be taken from the service provider at additional cost but this will likely be locked to the network and the service provider's firmware and you may not be able to set your own DNS choices, change the private LAN subnet, or the LAN IP address of the router (you can safely ignore any of these you don't recognize or care about but I wanted to mention for the benefit of others). Good luck!

https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/unlimited-data

I've used 4G LTE mobile broadband for two years with Three and around three months with EE and have found it to be a perfectly adequate home broadband replacement.

Be aware that EE primarily use CGNAT on their consumer mobile network so you will almost certainly not have your own IPv4 dynamic IP routable on the internet. (Most people hit this as they cannot act as a server for gaming and some chat features may not work but it will also impact acting as a server on the internet of any other sort.)

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/en-gb/mobile-coverage

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

No, it's awful and unpredictable. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)