cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Internet in my man cave

Nidger1970
Explorer

I have just set up a man cave at the bottom of the garden, how do I get Internet into there as my router is at the front of my bungalow, any help would be appreciated 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Nidger1970 ,

Please see below for a recent review and guidance regarding pricing.

The older devices are much cheaper and you could get started from Amazon Warehouse or eBay with about £40 per device and £80 in total.

There's a significant premium for newer devices but a total spend of £200 should be small as a percentage cost of the man cave and you may save money in the long run if you delay further upgrades.

https://www.techadvisor.com/review/devolo-magic-2-wifi-powerline-mesh-wi-fi-review-3689901/

Beware of WiFi extenders which use a WiFi backhaul instead of powerlines to extend your network: https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/the-best-wi-fi-extenders

A quality Wi-Fi extender is an ideal way to fix problems like weak or dead spots and an irregular internet signal. These additions, which are sometimes also called Wi-Fi repeaters or boosters,  improve your connection by taking your existing internet connection and extending its reach while also alleviating dead spots in your space.

If your WiFi signal already doesn't reach, it won't function well as a backhaul.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @Nidger1970 ,

If you receive mains power via your house, Devolo Magic-2 powerline adapters with or without WiFi functionality would be a good choice, based on my experience of over a decade with these devices.

Some forum users do not like me recommending this brand, and other brands are available but I'm not familiar with those and have not tested those.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Sent from my Galaxy
Hi
Thanks for the reply ,wot price am I looking at and where can I find these products to buy?

@Nidger1970 : Have a look at WiFi Extender . They carry the signal over your mains electricity.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi @Nidger1970 ,

Please see below for a recent review and guidance regarding pricing.

The older devices are much cheaper and you could get started from Amazon Warehouse or eBay with about £40 per device and £80 in total.

There's a significant premium for newer devices but a total spend of £200 should be small as a percentage cost of the man cave and you may save money in the long run if you delay further upgrades.

https://www.techadvisor.com/review/devolo-magic-2-wifi-powerline-mesh-wi-fi-review-3689901/

Beware of WiFi extenders which use a WiFi backhaul instead of powerlines to extend your network: https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/the-best-wi-fi-extenders

A quality Wi-Fi extender is an ideal way to fix problems like weak or dead spots and an irregular internet signal. These additions, which are sometimes also called Wi-Fi repeaters or boosters,  improve your connection by taking your existing internet connection and extending its reach while also alleviating dead spots in your space.

If your WiFi signal already doesn't reach, it won't function well as a backhaul.

--