cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Insecure Landlines

EEDISGUSTME
Investigator
Investigator

EE connected a strange man into my phone line.  After months (possibly years, EE won't specify) they admitted it and removed him as he'd began to impersonate my lover, take messages on my behalf and swear abuse at me.  He reacted to this by having his adult son phone me at midnight, taunting my name down the phone before shouting he was at my door so I better answer now.  The Police refused to investigate claiming no crime was committed.  EE reckon £50 was adequate compensation.  They've now deleted all evidence.  Do you think this should be legal? Do you think your line is private and secure?  Do you and your 6-year-old feel scared in your home thanks to EE?

13 REPLIES 13
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

You mean a strange man phoned you. EE can't stop anyone phoning you. It's a free-to-use public phone network.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Have you looked at, or followed any of the advice offered here:

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/safety-and-security/content-lock/blocking-unwanted-calls-and-texts 

No they gave a strange man access to my phone line without my knowledge or consent.  All he needed to do was pick up his home handset and if my line was on an active call he could listen in.  If someone phoned me, his line rang so he even got an alert when to listen in off EE.  They connected his phone wires into mine apparently.  They have admitted they tapped my phone into his home.

Thank you but I had no power to remove his phone wires from my homes port at the telephone exchange which was the only way to stop him.  EE were aware my phone was tapped the whole time but did nothing.  Someone could be on your line as I type.  How would you know?  I didn't until threatened.  He had managed to collect data on me from my private calls.

It sounds like you have had a very unpleasant experience.

However, EE do not control the physical lines or exchange, so not sure why you think they knew about this. It is a very unusual case, and I do wonder what symptoms you had and what happened when you started to notice problems?

OIC! You were the victim of a crossed line. I believe these can happen rarely. Sorry!

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @EEDISGUSTME,

Welcome to the EE Community.

I'm very sorry to hear you have been affected by a crossed line. I've sent you a private message to take some further details.

James

EE have already written to advise you deleted all the call logs in my formal complaint, whilst my complaint was still active.  I'm waiting for reply to find out if it was EE that told the Police I had fabricated the story, even though I have a letter from you admitting you crossed my line.  This saw me petrified in my home at Christmas (the week the man tried to get me in person) because the Police wouldn't even issue them with a warning to leave me alone.  EE can look forward to me using every social media space going as a sort of counselling service for the distress your actions have caused.  Social Services were contacted because someone claimed my line was not being spied on.  I was interrupted on a palliative care shift during lockdown to tell me I was going to subjected to an investigation for child abuse over this!!!!!  I imagine I will be haunted and feel need to vent for years.  I nearly dropped out of Uni due to the stress.  It was hard to swallow having gained distinction to date.  My impeccable absence record at work has also been ruined.

I had next to no internet during lockdown.  That was how it showed up.  The stress of this alone was horrendous when you have a child to home school online and are sitting university exams online.  We couldn't watch TV without constant interuotion or go out.  I got to go out for palliative care shifts without PPE and that was my lot.  Three engineers blamed it on my line being tapped yet not one checked.  I assumed it was an excuse so never thought to censor my phone calls.  I wish I hadn't had my private NHS consultations during lockdown now.  I regularly feel physically sick to know he and his son were likely listening.  I got told they live just behind me.  I don't know who they are and get the creeps imaging I probably pass them with my young daughter regularly.