cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Huawei 5G CPE Pro 2

danny_cc
Explorer

Hi, I'm just wondering if someone might be able to help me, I have seen a few posts regarding the Huawei 5G CPE Pro device but not the Pro 2 and I seem to be having a few issues.

I have a 5G enabled unlimited, SIM only plan with EE and therefore did not purchase the 5G router with it. I am not currently in a 5G area but I am sure it will come very soon and 4G signal is currently excellent both indoors and outdoors.

After doing a little research (with little to no clue as to what I was looking at or for) I decided to 'future-proof' my mobile router and go for 5G enabled so I purchased a Huawei 5G CPE Pro 2 simply because it 'must be better than the CPE Pro'.....right?

I'm beginning to think that I was slightly mistaken on that one. When I initially turned the device on, I was getting speeds of anywhere from 70/Mbps to 105/Mbps which I was thrilled with since my broadband struggled to get anywhere above 20/Mbps consistently. My Huawei (around a week or so in) is now also struggling to consistently stay close to 30/Mbps and I have read it sometimes as low as under 10/Mbps (a far cry from the speeds that I was quoted persuading me to take out the plan), I am also struggling to play any online games on my PS4. I have followed the basic advice of placing it high in the house and near a window for best signal etc. but that doesn't seem to be making any difference.

I guess I am looking for an answer to three questions really:

1) Is the Huawei 5G CPE Pro 2 suitable for an EE 5G SIM or do I need to look at getting a refund and going down the CPE Pro route? 

2) Are there any settings that I could be changing to optimise my performance that anyone has come across (instructions would also be greatly appreciated as I know very little about this technology if I'm honest)?

3) I've noticed a few people discussing the PS4 connectivity with the CPE Pro, is this likely to be the same issue that I am experiencing, and if so, does anyone know of a likely fix either now or on the horizon?

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated as I am currently not willing to cancel and turn off my broadband until I am confident that mobile broadband can be as reliable, I am therefore still paying both bills. Sorry if the answers are already out there but I have looked all around the internet but I'm just not sure what I'm looking for in relation to mobile broadband. 

6 REPLIES 6
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @danny_c

Welcome to the community.

Where did you buy your router from? 

Mobile data speeds can vary depending on lots of different things, including network congestion, signal indoors etc. You wouldn't necessarily get as stable-a-connection as you would with fixed line broadband. Mobile Broadband devices on EE also use dynamic IP addresses which seems to cause confusion with PS4s for online gaming.

I've noticed on other threads that if you're able to change from IPv6 to IPv4 manually, it sometimes helps with the PS4 problem you're having.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply.

I bought the router from Amazon.

I think I have changed IPv6 to IPv4 by changing the IP Type in internet connection settings. 

I have noticed a lot of people mentioning that the advanced security settings need to be amended to aid PS4 connection and they were previously un-amendable and I have just looked and they can now be amended on mine. Would amending some of these possibly help? Only issue is, I wouldn’t know what to amend 😂.

Thanks for your time.

Christopher_G

It's not something we'd recommend tinkering with, @dammy_cc

It may be worth having a read of this full thread.

Chris

m4rkw
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Get a 5G phone and test the connection on that. If there's a significant difference then you can suspect the router may be inadequate or misconfigured.

I find I get a better 5G signal if i mount my phone to the top of the window in the bedroom upstairs.

Hello @Christopher_G 

Hope someone can help with this please.

I've recently got a sim only ee data plan and got the Huawei 5G CPE Pro 2 from third party.

All works fine and 5G is blisteringly quick. There is one problem...

We do alot of work on Adobe Creative Suite and the program requires connecting to the Adobe Server to authenticate. When we had normal BB this worked fine.

Since getting 5G mobile broadband we've started to get connection problems and can nologer log into the programs.

I believe we need to have port forwarding for port 80 and 443 (I'm not a techie but this is what the Adobe website suggests).

Is there anyway to do this please?

Kind regards and appreciate any help.

Zed

James_B

Hi @Zed2022,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

It's unusual for port forwarding to be required to authenticate software.

If the software vendor have confirmed this is required, I'd recommend contacting Huawei Support for help with configuring your router settings.

They'll be happy to help.

James