cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

How to properly connect Huawei e586 to network

FuriousAngel
Contributor
Contributor

Hi
I have an old Huawei e586 which was 3 network but is now unlocked. It is 3G capable.

In the last couple of years I've had an EE mifi, but it keeps overheating and stopping. So I thought I would try out the older tech. Found the settings for the APN etc online - but it only connects as 2G (with the expected nothing speeds).

I saw something flash by on the internet that the IMEI has to be registered with EE? Is that true? Naively I thought that "unlocked" meant I could stick a SIM card in and it would rock.

Hope someone can help!

5 REPLIES 5
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@FuriousAngel : All it takes, as it always did, is sticking an active SIM in it. The device itself does not need registering with EE, who have no real interest in it.

Does the EE router pick up 3G or even 4G on the same SIM? 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi @XRaySpeX 

Thanks for responding. 

The SIM works in the EE 4G mini and gets 4G up to the point where it overheats and dies. Then you can unplug it (in some cases now pull the battery) and wait a bit before turning it on again. The cut off varies from a couple of minutes to a couple of hours. Mostly all I am doing is writing online, some Youtubing, but like 10%, so nothing particularly taxing (save that for when I'm at home).

The Huawei just hits 2G and done.

Thing is that the EE mini is way out of warranty (of course) but be damned if I can find a replacement for it that doesn't involve a contract of some kind. I already have that!

My concern is that there are other unlocked boxes out there - I want to be sure I'm not going to run into the same problem of poor connectivity with a "foreign" box if I stick my existing SIM in it.

I guess if my SIM is a 4G one it might not work in a lesser device??

Yes, the signal will downgrade to the 'G' capability of the device.

You can always buy outright an unlocked mobile router from an online seller or a manufacturer w/out any contract. The contract remains on the SIM.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi

That's what I would expect.

And therein lies the problem. The e586 is a 3G device, but it only gets 2G with this SIM. I've had it running with a SIM from Three at 3G, and my current EE SIM works at 4G in the EE mini while it lasts.

Looks like I have to try tracking down a 3rd party device. I hate having to use my phone as a bridge but hey ho.

Many thanks for the responses. I appreciate your time and effort.

All the best

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance