cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Hi I need to find out my Default GatewaySubnet MaskPrimary and Secondary DNS.

Oceannak77
Visitor

Hi my son who has adhd and autism (he has huge meltdowns because they’re a always issues with the PS4) has a PS4 and it keeps coming up saying the server cannot connect to network. I’ve called EE and they’ve said everything is ok there end, so I went onto PS4 and they’ve asked me to find out 

1. Default Gateway
  2. Subnet Mask
  3. Primary and Secondary DNS       I’d be really grateful if someone could helps
3 REPLIES 3
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Which router are you using?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @Oceannak77 ,

Can anything else connect to your router via WiFi, such as a mobile phone or a Windows 10 laptop? If so, it means DHCP is likely to be working which will assign 1. to 3. automatically.

If you look in your phone's WiFi settings and details, or "ipconfig" in Windows 10 cmd, you'll probably find the gateway to be either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 and the subnet mask is likely to be 255.255.255.0 The primary DNS is usually set to the same IP address as the router.

An IP address is basically like a 32-bit phone number for devices on a network. DHCP will assign one automatically to your mobile and to your laptop.

What seems to be happening is that DHCP is failing to assign an IP and 1. to 3. to the PS4. Make sure that the PS4 is either wired to the router or can connect by a correct WiFi password to the router and is configured to obtain configuration details automatically. For a correctly configured consumer router, there should be no need to set 1. to 3. manually. If you really do need to set them manually, copy them from your phone or laptop and the IP can be set to an unused address in your network.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

@Oceannak77 : Just be aware that the numbers you have just been advised to look at are not the numbers you are actually after. You can only get what you want from the router, not elsewhere. That post is just a load of unadulterated waffle!

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)