cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

EE home hub, address range.

spectramc
Investigator
Investigator

does anyone know if its possible to change the address range on a home hub?

the range is 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253, and I want to assign a static ip address to another extension router, so I want to change the first range to 192.168.1.84 but I cant change any numbers, does anyone know how to do it?

8 REPLIES 8
mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @spectramc ,

It sounds like you want to reduce the DHCP range of your upstream router from 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253, to 192.168.1.84 to 192.168.1.253.

Please may I sanity check whether this is because you are intending to run two DHCP servers within the same network (L2 segment)? That's usually not going to be a good idea.

The simplest choice would be double-NAT with LAN-to-WAN and you can optionally configure a static IP for the downstream router. And this is what I typically go with.

If you need all your devices in the same subnet and able to route to each other, LAN-to-LAN may be more suitable but care would need to be taken to avoid loss of access. This is probably the direction you had in mind but per the below, it would be best to disable DHCP on one of the routers.

https://www.wikihow.com/Cascade-Routers

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net
XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

Yes, click on the address range & then chose Custom & then you can change Start & End of the IP Range. But you don't really need to. You can just let the other router connect with whatever IP it takes & then "Always use this IP Addy" & change its IP to what you want it to be, 192.168.1.84.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

How To Connect Two Routers On One Home Network Using A Lan Cable Stock Router Netgear/TP-Link - YouT...

Hi, I dont want to give you the impression I know what I doing lol ! I am trying to follow this guys idea of how to connect two routers via a LAN connection, and the secondary one has its own static IP add. so when i go down the garden to my shed which is where the second router is I can connect to it and it doesnt hold onto the first one, and hold onto a weak signal. That's my interpretation of what he does on the YouTube video

The guy makes it sound relatively easy, but I guess he is using a fairly open router rather than an EE one and it all looks very configurable, does that make sense? any other options which are easier I am more than open to suggestions, many thanks

Pete

Dunno about that but I've answered the Q you 1st posed.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi @spectramc ,

You are better off buying two Devolo powerline adapters and a wireless access point at one end.

I personally do the above in addition to connecting three routers together. Powerline adapters are by far the easiest approach, although some people do not like my recommending them 

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
IT-4BusyPeople
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Okay, you have two problems to overcome.

Firstly, the data connection between your shed and the house. Unless it is a long distance, this can be most easily achieved by using a pair of powerline adaptors. However, as your shed power supply should be on a separate circuit to the circuits within your home, this might not give the best results and hence you will have to run a data cable - my recommendation is to try the powerline adaptors...

Secondly, configuring your 'shed' router. Basically, what you are needing to do is to change the router's default IP address so that it is different to that of the primary router and disable the built in DHCP server. 

There is an article on how to do this with the Brightbox 2:

How do I connect a second Bright Box 2 to a first BB2 in order to extend wifi 

Follow the instructions given by @XRaySpeX in their contributions.

The above instructions to let the downstream router take an IP address leased from the upstream router assumes a LAN-to-WAN physical connection, whereas the suggestion to disable the DHCP server on the downstream router assumes a LAN-to-LAN physical connection. I'm not sure that all consumer routers can take their LAN IP address via DHCP from an upstream router connected LAN-to-LAN. DD-WRT and better are likely able to do this but I'd be surprised if a service provider's router could do this.

It would be best to decide what the physical connection should be and then the logical configuration should become obvious. Better yet, have a wireless access point built in to one of the powerline adapters and never need to worry about whether you want LAN-to-WAN/double-NAT or LAN-to-LAN/single L2 segment.

-- 
IT-4BusyPeople
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I keep forgetting the lack of functionality of consumer routers...

Yes, the simple solution is to manually change the 'shed' router's Gateway  address to a different subnet to that used by the primary router, and connect the 'shed' router's WAN port to a LAN port on the primary router.

Additionally, to save address association issues, use a different WiFi SSID so devices in the home don't connect to the Shed network and attempt to use the IP address assigned by the primary router.