cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Data sim for use in car only

BillyW
Investigator
Investigator

Hi all,

New member first post, hope someone can help. I ordered a data sim only to use in my Discovery 5, I'm stuck as to top it up. I installed it into slot in car up came 4g full signal I then went into browser put in "add-on.ee.co.uk" to top up, browser came back with unable to open. Do you need to top up sim in a laptop or phone before using it in the car?

Thanks BillyW.

9 REPLIES 9
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@BillyW   You don’t need data on the sim to access the top up page.  

try this web address instead 

http://add-on.ee.co.uk/purchase

Hi, Chris thanks for your reply, I've managed to top up now ok, we checked sim card and it's all set up now, I'm still unable to get into net I  the car but think I'm not doing something right, but I'll get there. 👍

Hi, I am having the exact same problem, has anyone managed to get this working yet?

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @leanne292,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

What issues are you experiencing with your data SIM?

James

Morning,

I have got the PAYG data sim and put this in my Discovery 5, the car reads the sim and I can go into the Sim card settings from the car so its all showing, I have topped it up and spoken with an EE advisor who has confirmed this. but my car wont show the 4G or 3G symbol and I cant access the internet from it. the car just keeps showing the dots as if its still trying to search for it.

I have had my car checked with landrover and another sim has been tried in it so its not the car.

James_B

Hi @leanne292,

Do you have another phone or device you can test your SIM in to check it's working?

James

I have already tested this in another phone and it works.

James_B

Hi @leanne292,

As the SIM is working in another device, the issue must be with the setup of your car's system. Please contact the manufacturer for support.

Thanks

James

@leanne292 did you resolve this? I have the exact same problem with my Discovery 5.  I had a 3(Three) data sim and that worked fine off the bat, it was a 2yr sim and then it finished so I got an EE one as I figured I could link it to my phone account and share the data.

using three sim everything is fine and I get a 3G signal no problem, then swap to the EE sim and the car knows it’s an EE sim in the settings but it never finds a signal, sometimes it comes up with an error and says to contact the network provider.  I tried the sim in my EE mifi and it worked.  So there is something weird with an EE data sim in a car compared to other network providers.

one of the problems with having a SIM card from one provider and a car from another is they just finger point without even trying to help resolve the issue eg the car uses a different size adapter to the phone so it could actually be the sim (adaptor) for example.  I’d be really interested to hear if you found a solution.