cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

4G broadband: 0 upload mbps according to speed test

goodlegs
Investigator
Investigator

Hi there,

We're recording reasonable download speeds but zero (0.00) mbps upload speeds when running speedtest, which explains why our service is completely unusable.

We're in London zone 2.

19 REPLIES 19
bristolian
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

Hello @goodlegs 

What devices are you using? And are these problems happening on all of them? How long have you been having these problems?

I'm not sure what you mean by "Zone 2", presumably the TFL transport zones, but that covers a very wide area. You can check for known network issues on the coverage & status checker and following "check network"

We're near Hackney Central. The upload speed has got a little better and is now 0.88mbps, still below the national average.

We're using a £170 modem (Teltonika RUT955).

I have an EE sim in my android phone but the mobile speedtest url there only seems to report download speed, not the upload.

Connected using LTE band 3 to cell ID 2723841. Signal strength -83 dBm.

speedtest.near earlier -> ping 1697ms download 30.59mbps upload 0.0mbps

speedtest.net has got better -> ping 23ms download 34.92mbps upload 1.13mbps

It was at 0 upload mbps for a good hour. EE on the phone said national average upload speed is 4-5mbps which includes rural areas so in the centre of London presumably higher.

It sounds like your upload speed is now varying, which is symptomatic of varying traffic levels on your serving site.

The expected UL speed in any given location would depend significantly on the amount of available capacity on your serving site divided by the amount of users.

These factors can vary significantly in all areas, although admittedly your quoted speeds are a little on the low side.

Agreed, 0.0mbps is on the low side.

Hi @goodlegs ,

If you ever see a ping as high as 1697ms, I would highly recommend to discard the result as it's a good indication of congestion (e.g. of the network or the target server or one of the links along the route) which in your case appears to be congested up but less so down (more commonly I've seen congestion down but not up).

Usually I find that speedtest.net is very good and selects good target servers for multithreaded tests but I would recommend that you verify with a second service such as fast.com

I agree that poor performance would not be expected in Zone 2 but it may be that there is some unusual event causing the network capacity to be insufficient at the particular peak time. I'm near a town centre in Zone 6 and occasionally need to restart the radio as it may become camped on a cell tower which gets very busy during the day.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

0.018mbps upload speed now. 
Looking at past speed tests we got 28.33 mbps upload speed on 23-Jan-2021, 14.5 mbps on 22-Jan, 13.23 mbps on 21-Jan 

Ok, but that means 'discarding the result' for a whole hour as it was like that for an whole hour. 

I take the point that a single measurement like that is bogus but the upload link was totally down for a whole hour, and since then is consistently under 1mpbs.

Up to date measurements:

speedtest.net -> 0mbps upload

fast.com -> 870kbps upload

I don't believe its the choice of servers.