Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G dongle for android head unit via ?USB

Dragon_
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

I hope someone can help me out.

I have an Android head unit in my car that I want to be connected to the internet for GPS and web sites etc..

I can connect to the head unit using my phones hotspot, but I sometimes forget.. So I was wondering if I got a data plan (I can share my data with this SIM card) and a dongle that I can connect via USB.

Is this do-able? I think it is but want to make sure.

Tracy

11 REPLIES 11
Chris_B
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@Dragon_  You can share data that’s not a problem providing it’s a contract sim, your issue might be that putting a dongle in the USB port as it might not allow it to connect to the Internet that way.  Do the instructions for the head unit so you can do that ? 

mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @Dragon_ ,

Did the Android Head Unit come with the car or was it installed later?

The best play would be to refer to the documentation for either the Android Head Unit or for the car to determine what methods of internet connectivity are supported.

If you see a USB port present in an appropriate position, it's possible the Android Head Unit may have some support for a USB dongle but the supported models may be limited. Best to refer to the documentation again, or raise a query with the supplier or manufacturer of the particular Android Head Unit which you own (different support depending on the model).

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net
Dragon_
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Thanks for the replies..

I'm going right over to my head units manufacturers and ask them. They will know.

Not sure why it didn't occur to me to ask them 🙂

Thanks

It's unlikely to work as most USB Data Dongle or Mobile Routers with USB Data out are designed for Windows Devices and Windows Drivers.

Depending of HU type you may find some Premium Head Units support some form of USB Data Connectivity with proprietary Cables or Interface but it's unlikely to be a standard plug and play option.

If your HU can use WiFi Connection then the easiest way would be to source a 12V DC MiFi Router or just plug just a standard Mobile Battery operated MiFi on pertinent charge. You can also source ODB2 4G MiFi devices that just plug into the cars ODB2 Diagnostics Port but I cannot vouch for there performance.

Dragon_
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hi

I had the head unit fitted after I bought the car. It's an eonon brand. It works great when I use my phone as a hotspot, but I don't always remember to turn the hotspot on. This is why I'm looking for an alternative. I have seen a you tube video of someone doing just that, but I wanted to ask in the EE community to see if someone here has done it.

I've sent a message to eonon and am awaiting a reply.

The head unit has 3 USB connections, 1 used used for the dash cam and another for the reverse cam and hopefully the spare one for the dongle.

Thanks for your imput, I appreciate it

Tracy

Hi @Dragon_ ,

A check of the manual for one arbitrarily chosen model suggests you are in with a chance. You probably just need to double check the manual for your model and check with Eonon if they have a list of known-good 4G dongles compatible with Android.

https://www.eonon.co.uk/Android-Car-Stereo/2-Din-Car-Stereo/Eonon-7-Inch-Android-10-Universal-Double...

http://i.sbo2.com/page/GA2186_EN.html

p.7

Network

Support[s] internet [access] via Wi-Fi or 4G dongle.

4G dongle connection

1. Connect the 4G dongle to the USB slot on the back.
  2. The system will automatically recognize the 4G dongle and connect.
  3. It connects when it displays on the StatusBar.

Note: Please make sure your 4G dongle works with Android systems.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Chris_B
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

I’m 100% positive I put check the manual.  oh look it did. 
I suppose others saying the same thing just proves that I was correct in putting what I did.    Copying is a form of flattery they say.    

Genius.

-- 
Dragon_
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Sorry if I didn't thank you Chris_B

I do appreciate your help