Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone call from Carphone Warehouse

hawkerpaul
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi

(Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I can't find one relating to general security)

I just received an incoming call from an unknown number who claimed to be Carphone Warehouse.

He knew my name and asked to speak to me about upgrading my phone, but I told him I'm not due an upgrade. He then said that I purchased my phone in May, which I told him was incorrect and told him when my contract does in fact expire.

As soon as I said this he hung up.

He knew my phone number (obviously), my name and the fact that I am with EE.

I've been with EE for many many years, and only ever dealt with EE directly for my phones+contracts.

I'm wondering if this is some sort of scam to get this information out of me for some reason (ie. when my contract expires)

Thanks

Paul

35 REPLIES 35

Just had the same myself but I am use to not confirming any details from unsolicited calls. 

Interested that the advice has been to use TPS. The TPS cover unsolicited sales and marketing, and from within the UK. It can have no control over organisations who are running illegal practices and from overseas. From their site,  "TPS only deals with live unsolicited direct marketing calls. Scam calls fall outside our remit."

In many cases, our names and numbers have been sold or purchased through practices that can't be regulated. At worse, they have been taken when a web site has suffered a breach and then sold on. 

I would be very interested in hearing what else EE are able to do to help protect their customers against what is becoming a very regular occurrence. Internet services have a realtime blackhole list for scam IP addresses but I am not seeing a similar service from the phone providers.

Thanks.

Hi,

I've received several of these calls. Since I don't have a contract with Carphone I just told them I wasn't interested, but they keep ringing back. They know my name, number & that I'm with EE. I suspected it was a scam the first time as I had just renewed my contract & upgraded my phone. The guy had an Indian accent and said they would be able to get me a cheaper deal. The last call I got was today. I told him I wasn't a customer of theirs & to take me off their caller list. I don't know if that will stop the calls or not. If it doesn't I'll just say the next time I know its a scam & hang up! 

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @S_Chapman

Thanks for coming to the community 🙂

You can register your mobile number with the Telephone Preference Service,

This free service allows you to register your preference not to receive any unsolicited telesales calls. 

Thanks 🙂

Leanne.

Hi Leanne,

My number is registered, but scammers don't follow the rules!  This wasn't a legitimate call, it was someone pretending to be from Carphone Warehouse.  I've had a couple of these calls now, just hang up.  Hopefully they will get the message and give up ringing my number.

Sue

Hi 

I am currently sitting here feeling loke the worse fool in the world.. there is a very expensive phone sitting on my table not even the make they said i would get. Im actually crying iv cancelled my banks and cards and having anxiety attacks. 

I dont know what to do.. iv called carphone warehouse and no such order.  Its an o2 pack with it but i said im staying with EE can somebody please help me i already suffer with my mental health as it is and now iv got a phone thats over 1k on my table and my stupid details in india somewhere...... 

Any help will be greatfull 

@hawkerpaul 

Christopher_G

Hi @Dalypaula

Welcome to the community. We'll do our best to help you.

I'm sorry to hear that you've ended up with a phone and package that you're not happy with.

Does all of the information that came with the phone say it's with O2? When did you receive the phone?

Chris

purenessence
Visitor

I received 4 of these calls on Monday.  All from different mobile numbers; claiming to be from Carphone Warehouse.  I very rarely share my mobile number; so was suspicious to say the least.  I realised that the last time I shared my mobile number was when reporting a weekly Covid home test result via the Government website.  Out of interest, when I reported my test results this week I inputted my work mobile number instead.  Low and behold today I received the same phone call but to my work phone!!  They again called from a random mobile number and claimed to be from Carphone Warehouse!?  Either its a massive coincidence or something very fishy is going on!!

Leanne_T

Hi @purenessence

Thanks for coming to the community. 

You can report the call to EE just text 'call' to 7726 followed by a space, then the number that called you, we use the data collected to help protect all of our customers.

For advice from EE in relation to scams and how to keep yourself safe, take a look at the following pages

Scams: Information about scams currently circulating article >

Spam and phishing - How to stay safe and report it article >

Thanks. 

Leanne. 

I have just been scammed by a so called carphone warehouse and reading the reviews from another user, it seems exactly what happened to him happened to me. They called me pretending to get me a cheap deal and i signed up. They took 2 x times £30 payment off me and send me two phones but wrong one. I even received an email with the invoice. It all looked genuine. Its an indian lady that spoked to me by the name of Alizah. Contact number +44 20 8089 1445. Then i posted both phones back and they put some box with glass and brick saying i sent them this and no phone. The thought they were wised but i proved to them that they have opened the package and resealed it. So they start avoiding me. Gents be very careful of these scams i hope this reach people before they fall into it. I have reported this to the fraud online team. I concluded it was a scam after i contacted carphone warehouse who confirmed that it was not their number or they dont have record of the order number. 

This scam is rife right now. I got 4 calls in one day. I finally lost it on the 4th call and told them to never ring my number again as I was never going to give them any money. The calls stopped, but I've no doubt they will be back with the next scam. I get loads of scam emails as well. I report them then delete them. I never respond to anyone contacting me out of the blue. I was scammed a year ago by someone pretending to be my bank. I was fortunate, I got most of my money back. They tried to scam me again on 2 separate occasions, but I was wise to them. Which has a great scammers advice group. I get regular emails from them telling me about the latest scams. The best thing you can do is to educate yourself.