Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone call from Carphone Warehouse

hawkerpaul
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi

(Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I can't find one relating to general security)

I just received an incoming call from an unknown number who claimed to be Carphone Warehouse.

He knew my name and asked to speak to me about upgrading my phone, but I told him I'm not due an upgrade. He then said that I purchased my phone in May, which I told him was incorrect and told him when my contract does in fact expire.

As soon as I said this he hung up.

He knew my phone number (obviously), my name and the fact that I am with EE.

I've been with EE for many many years, and only ever dealt with EE directly for my phones+contracts.

I'm wondering if this is some sort of scam to get this information out of me for some reason (ie. when my contract expires)

Thanks

Paul

35 REPLIES 35

@S_Chapman its so annoying when this happened. We do not ask for it. What p*ssed me off more is that innocent people get done for it by falling in these traps and scammers are making money off us. I am trying to do my best to get tp the bottom of this and find these people. I got an address i got a phone number hopefully the authority can stop this. I barely pick up phone calls from unknown number. How i fell for that one i do not know i should have known better. Just gutted. 

Please don't beat yourself up about this.  The scammers are experts in what they do and they will use all social engineering tools to get you.  I couldn't believe I fell for a bank scam, but they had me 100% convinced I was actually talking to my bank.  They spoofed the phone number so it looked like the bank was calling me, they knew some of my details, not once did they ask me for any information, and they had me on the phone for over an hour.  The one thing I walked away with, from that experience is that I educated myself on how these scammers work, and I keep myself informed of the latest scams going around.  Use this as a learning experience.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope that the authorities will do anything.  I had a bank account number, the bank name and address, but they still got away with it, and tried to scam me 2 times after already scamming me!  This is not your fault.  You are the victim of a crime, you're not the criminal, they are.

@S_Chapman thanks a lot for your comforting words Mr Chapman. This is what is great with the community, theres always someone to make your day and make you feel better. 

You are right the authorities will not get to the bottom of this or even track them down. I was even thinking to do it myself but we need to act lawfully. 

Indeed its a learning curve. I need to be more weary in the future. 

Thanks again. 

Reading all about Carphone Warehouse scammers , I'm also registered on the Telephone Preference Service but still get cold calls from all kinds of telesales people both legit and scam. 

@Georgie14 unfortunately even if they are legit i am hanging up. After being scammed once i wont let it happen again. Just too much hassle. Beware of crypto scam as well 

Alexfalcon
Contributor
Contributor

I’m getting calls 2 and 3 times a week. I keep blocking their numbers I have a list of numbers. I called car phone warehouse today who said their fraud team is working on this scam. Today when the fraudsters called I told them I know and everyone knows they are scammers and their numbers have been

passed on then I called them some extremely nasty names and told them to F off dirty B’s hopefully they will stop calling now

@Alexfalcon wrote -

Today when the fraudsters called I told them I know and everyone knows they are scammers and their numbers have been passed on then I called them some extremely nasty names and told them to F off dirty B’s hopefully they will stop calling now

Nice to see those Anger Management Courses you went on are working out for you then 😊

@EssexBoyEE @Alexfalcon good stuff thats how they should be treated. We shouldnt let them scam other ppl. Just need to be ahead of them. 

Lisa9317
Visitor

I had someone cold call me today from the carphone warehouse. I didn't think it was a scam because I've used the company before and I'm due an upgrade. They sounded legit. Had all the information about the phone and the price plan. Did all the information and details to set up direct debit. Even did that boring T&C bit at the end of the call. I only worked out I'd been scammed when I received an email from them. No carphone warehouse logo, spelling mistakes and bad grammar. I rang the number they rang me on and it rang like a call out of the UK. I then blocked my card and rang my bank. I was lucky to of block my card before they managed to order the non existent phone. The number they ran me off was 0151 700 8711 the guy said he was call Sam Marciano. 

_MrR_
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

I had the same call and I'm on Vodafone.

This was an interesting thread to read as the call was from an Indian guy promising the world. I simply said I'm waiting to leave Vodafone and move to EE (as I am) so wasn't interested in an upgrade. 

Thanked him for his time and ended the call. Actually dealt with it as a cold call, didn't realise it was a scam.