Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone call from Carphone Warehouse

hawkerpaul
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi

(Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I can't find one relating to general security)

I just received an incoming call from an unknown number who claimed to be Carphone Warehouse.

He knew my name and asked to speak to me about upgrading my phone, but I told him I'm not due an upgrade. He then said that I purchased my phone in May, which I told him was incorrect and told him when my contract does in fact expire.

As soon as I said this he hung up.

He knew my phone number (obviously), my name and the fact that I am with EE.

I've been with EE for many many years, and only ever dealt with EE directly for my phones+contracts.

I'm wondering if this is some sort of scam to get this information out of me for some reason (ie. when my contract expires)

Thanks

Paul

35 REPLIES 35
Nitro11
Contributor
Contributor

@hawkerpaul hey Paul yes thats how they start..luckily u didnt fall in that trap. Great to hear they have failed. Now expect calls after calls from them and from different Asian background operator. DO NOT FALL for them whatever way and however convincing they are or appealing deal they might offer you. 

Stay safe. 

I just had a call from an Asian sounding guy saying he was from Caroline Warehouse. It appeared  to be a London number and started with 0208.  I can’t write it down in full as it’s not listed in my recent calls.   I assumed it was a cold call and just said ‘I’m not interested’ and hung up.  

Thanks  for all the info here.  I guess I can expect a few more calls then, but I’m ready now.

Thank you. 

Actually, I just found the number in Recent calls.  It says:   020 8894 3664.  London England.  

@apandy yes thats correct its a london number. But i have learnt they use poxy number thats what they are called. Most of them callers are from indian background. You can easily say they are scammed. At first i wouldnt believe it. Stay safe. 

I have been getting calls from crypto scam as well. Just need to be aware and dont fall for them. 

HI, just to add that I have just received a call from 02034998986 and 02045253086 offering me an upgrade from S21 (I just signed up for 2 months ago) to S21 ultra only for 35 GBP, keeping my same deal with but reducing the monthly payments to 35 GBP. I fell into the trap but realised when I hang up that it was too good to be true! now cancelled my card.

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @emma213

Thanks for coming to the community and letting us know. 

If you ever wish to check your upgrade please feel free to call our customer care team on 150. 

Katie 🙂