Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone call from Carphone Warehouse

hawkerpaul
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi

(Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I can't find one relating to general security)

I just received an incoming call from an unknown number who claimed to be Carphone Warehouse.

He knew my name and asked to speak to me about upgrading my phone, but I told him I'm not due an upgrade. He then said that I purchased my phone in May, which I told him was incorrect and told him when my contract does in fact expire.

As soon as I said this he hung up.

He knew my phone number (obviously), my name and the fact that I am with EE.

I've been with EE for many many years, and only ever dealt with EE directly for my phones+contracts.

I'm wondering if this is some sort of scam to get this information out of me for some reason (ie. when my contract expires)

Thanks

Paul

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
andrew_r
Investigator
Investigator

It's a widespread scam and the fraudsters are constantly changing tactics.

Pre-Covid they were calling from the UK via spoofed numbers, they are now active again but from call centres abroad.

They claim to be calling from Carphone Warehouse, Fone City, Phone World, Smartphone Ltd and other real and fake company names.

They offer very cheap deals even claiming they'll pay off your old contract so you can keep your number.

Then use the details you give them to order multiple phone contracts in your name for different, high-end phones.

They track the orders by using their own email addresses and then call once delivered to claim they made a mistake and you have someone else's order.

The give addresses to 'send back' the phones to via your local Post Office, they wait at these addresses for your package(s) to arrive and steal the phones.

This leaves victims with multiple, expensive 24 month contracts in their name as well as damaged credit scores.

If you've been a victim, we are keeping an article up to date with all of the numbers and addresses the scammers are using (via thoughtful victims who contact us) as well as advice on what to do if you've been a victim, here >>>

https://www.phonesltd.co.uk/indian-scammers-02080776540-02031293010-cheap-mobile-offers/

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @hawkerpaul

Thanks for coming back to the community.

Sorry to hear you have received this call today.

If you register your mobile number with the Telephone Preference Service,

This free service allows you to register your preference not to receive any unsolicited telesales calls

Thanks 🙂

Leanne.

hawkerpaul
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi Leanne

Thank you for that.

Interestingly though, when I went on there to register my number, it said I am already registered!!!!

I've had this same number for years, but I can't ever remember registering it on there.

Leanne_T

Hi @hawkerpaul

Thanks for coming back.

That is strange, if you get any more calls let us know.

Leanne.

andrew_r
Investigator
Investigator

Hi hawkerpaul,

There is a widespread cold calling mobile contract scam in operation.

The perpetrators usually have an Indian accent and claim to offer very cheap deals.

They are trying to get your personal and banking details to carry out their scam.

There's an article about it, here >>>

https://www.phonesltd.co.uk/indian-scammers-02080776540-02031293010-cheap-mobile-offers/

Hope this helps.

andrew_r
Investigator
Investigator

It's a widespread scam and the fraudsters are constantly changing tactics.

Pre-Covid they were calling from the UK via spoofed numbers, they are now active again but from call centres abroad.

They claim to be calling from Carphone Warehouse, Fone City, Phone World, Smartphone Ltd and other real and fake company names.

They offer very cheap deals even claiming they'll pay off your old contract so you can keep your number.

Then use the details you give them to order multiple phone contracts in your name for different, high-end phones.

They track the orders by using their own email addresses and then call once delivered to claim they made a mistake and you have someone else's order.

The give addresses to 'send back' the phones to via your local Post Office, they wait at these addresses for your package(s) to arrive and steal the phones.

This leaves victims with multiple, expensive 24 month contracts in their name as well as damaged credit scores.

If you've been a victim, we are keeping an article up to date with all of the numbers and addresses the scammers are using (via thoughtful victims who contact us) as well as advice on what to do if you've been a victim, here >>>

I hope this helps.

Nininini
Visitor

I have the same problem, they told me that they calling from carphone warehouse and they sent me email with offer but what is wierd is their email:

customersupport@carsphonewarehouse.com

carS instead of caR so I think its a scam!! 🤷🏻‍♀️

somebody knows where I can report them? 😤

Leanne_T

Hi there @Nininini

Thanks for coming to the community. 

For emails, you can forward the message to report@phishing.gov.uk. The UK's National Cyber Security Team will then analyse it and, if it is identified as suspicious, attempt to take them down

You can also forward any phishing emails referring to EE to phishing@ee.co.uk

For advice from EE in relation to scams and how to keep yourself safe, take a look at the following pages

Scams: Information about scams currently circulating article >

Spam and phishing - How to stay safe and report it article >

Thanks.

Leanne.

I’ve just had a call from them, they were claiming to be from carephoneware house and knew my name, saying car phone warehouse would pay off the rest of my contract and I would het a new phone etc, I asked them to prove who they were and they tried to get me to email - info@carphone’warehouse.com. I obviously laughed them hung up, be careful out there 

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Thanks for making us aware of this, @Eeltruck.