cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Number is being Spoofed

BisquTz
Visitor

I think someone is using my number as a spoof to contact people, is there anything I can do to stop this ?

I have had 2 random people today call me saying they have missed a call from me (I havent made any calls yet today)
And I had a couple a few weeks ago too saying the same thing

I don't particularly want to get my number changed as its a pain

Thanks

32 REPLIES 32
Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @mjpollitt.

Has this happened again or was it just one time?

Also, are you aware if any other numbers have been called?

Katie

Hi @Katie_B 

To the best of my knowledge, just once.

If it happens again, I’ll post.

Thanks

Katie_B

Thanks for letting us know @mjpollitt

Please be sure to keep us updated, 

Katie 🙂

Paul_Bedford
Explorer

This is happening to my wife right now. Literally thousands of call and texts asking "who is this?", implying her number has been used to contact these people, in bulk.

She clearly hasn't made all these calls.

EE are suggesting to change her number, the one she's used for over 20 years.

@Paul_Bedford   You can only hope that the idiots doing this get bored of it if you don’t change your number.  There is nothing EE can do to stop this.  No network can stop anyone from spoofing a number as it’s nothing todo with the network.  

Paul_Bedford
Explorer

Fully aware, but due to all the return calls and messages (from innocent folk getting scam calls using a spoof of my wife's number), it had to be done. We are on holiday and with delayed flights the phone was impossible to use, and killing the battery life. Quite important we can use them at the minute..!

Also means that old number is now non-reponsive.

@Paul_Bedford    The people getting these calls are only getting a call and then the idiots hang up before the call is answered so you get the return call from that person.  There is no scam involved it’s just someone people think it’s funny that you will get inundated with return calls.    Some devices have the option to silence unknown numbers these calls will go straight to your voicemail and any caller where you have their number on the device will allow the phone to ring.   The problem with this is that you might be expecting a call but you don’t have that number in your phone book so it’ll go straight to voicemail. 

Blinda
Visitor

Same here, 15 calls this week only, numbers disguised as EE, T mobile, O2, and god knows who else. Same thing all the time: “Nonono, you called me, nonono you called me”. Harassing messages like “who’s that bruh” threats, insults, etc etc. Like 5 times minimum every day. I just decline and block them but it’s ridiculous how many if them i am getting for a month already. Not sure if anyone is even capable of doing something except if my number appears as disguise for scamming other people to report me, haha

Leanne_T

Hi @Blinda 

Thanks for coming here. 

You can find details and help in our Call spoofing - The EE Community article. 

Leanne. 

This is not helpful at all to the issue of what to do if your number has been spoofed to stop multiple call per day from innocent people saying you have called them. We can try to ignore caller ID's we don't recognise, but it doesn't stop the phone ringing all the time, and what if someone legitimate is trying to call!?