cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Number is being Spoofed

BisquTz
Visitor

I think someone is using my number as a spoof to contact people, is there anything I can do to stop this ?

I have had 2 random people today call me saying they have missed a call from me (I havent made any calls yet today)
And I had a couple a few weeks ago too saying the same thing

I don't particularly want to get my number changed as its a pain

Thanks

32 REPLIES 32
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Hi @BisquTz 

Welcome to the community.

Unfortunately spam calls (with spoofed-CLI) seems particularly prevalent lately, and affects all phone users on all networks.

EE have a help page covering unwanted calls here which offers some additional advice.

smetson
Explorer

That page doesn't help at all.

The issue is that number spoofing is being used to call other people. I have had the same thing and the first you realise is that people are messaging you from random numbers saying - "Who is this?"

I’m also having this issue and it began a week or so ago. Random numbers calling me saying they are returning my call yet I’ve not made the call in the first place! Having done some quick research it appears my number is being ‘spoofed’. Do EE have any solution as to how this can be stopped as it’s a real nuisance, especially as this is my business mobile number. 

EE have not helped at all.
All they say is that I should block the numbers that are calling me. I have told them that they are all random numbers and they are only calling me because they think I have called them. It doesn’t help at all to block them!

Sent from my iPhone

I can’t see how this will stop the issue but EE suggested i register with Telephone Preference Service

mjpollitt
Investigator
Investigator

Something similar happened to me this morning.

My phone dialled my wife’s phone, on its own.

My phone was upstairs, out of the way.

On checking my phone, the last number dialled was my wife’s. How this happened, we have no explanation for.

Might this be an indication of an attempt to spoof?

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

That is really strange, @mjpollitt 

I couldn't say definitively what caused it. It sounds more like a software glitch, like your phone had re-dialled the last caller on the call list, or something similar. I couldn't say for sure though.

Have you had a look at this Call spoofing article that one of our former community managers wrote? It explains what spoofing is and the potential motives for it.

Chris

paul_blitz
Investigator
Investigator

In the same way that you can send an email pretending to be from anyone you like, the same applies to the telephone network... it's called "Call Spoofing" (and that article referenced by Christopher_G explains things)

The caller's 'phone system' (these days typically its a PC!) can use any "calling number" when it makes a phone call... in this case it used a REAL number - yours! Unfortunately, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING anyone can do (unless you can somehow work out who it is, and 'send the boys around' 🙂 )... especially as the caller is probably in India or somewhere similar!

Thanks @Christopher_G  but it does sound different to the spoof description given.

The call to my wife’s phone was displayed on my phone. If it was a spoof would that be the case?

The call prior to this, was not to my wife, so it wasn’t last number redialled either.